Want to help us build media rich communications experiences which can entertain/delight or even save someone's life?
Key job responsibilities
Alexa is the name of the Amazon cloud-based voice service that powers the Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Show and more. Just ask Alexa for information, music, news, weather, and more. And now you can send a message, make a call, play announcements, or drop in on your closest friends & family via Alexa devices or the Alexa app!
It’s still Day One for the Alexa Communications team – we have a lot to innovate and build to make communication through Alexa devices a magical experience. We’re working hard, having fun, and making history; come join us! The Alexa communications team is working to become the most natural way for people to communicate, and the challenge ahead is significant. We're a high energy, fast growth business excited to have the opportunity to define the future of voice-controlled communications, make Alexa even more useful, and delight customers around the world.
We are seeking talented Sr Software Development Engineers to join our Comms Media teams. These teams provide the mechanisms and services that allow our Customers to connect and communicate with each other around the world. In this role you will have an enormous opportunity to make a large impact on the design, architecture, and implementation of cutting edge products used every day, by people you know.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about an opportunity to build elegant systems in the most efficient ways, pushing the limits of current technology and challenging the status quo.
Key responsibilities include:
- Develop and launch core product features
- Influence our overall strategy by helping define product features, drive the system architecture, and spearhead the best practices that enable a quality product
- Create world class software and Alexa experiences
- Interact with cross-functional engineering teams across the company
- Dive into and take ownership of mission critical software puzzles
- Participate in and drive design reviews
A day in the life
Daily activities in this role include deep diving hard low-level performance problems, reasoning about how to scale our service fleet, or mentoring other engineers by reviewing their designs/code. Our customers are the users of the Alexa communications features who stay connected to family and friends via Alexa ecosystem devices.
About the team
Our multi-disciplinary team is in charge of a media processing service which runs experience applications to implement media rich customer interactions. We are the platform on which these experiences run, and we own/tune the low-level software (GStreamer, WebRTC) as well as the high-level software (AWS services) that make it work.
- 8+ years of professional software development experience
- Programming experience in multiple modern languages such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 5+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- experience with performance sensitive distributed systems (e.g. low latency, high throughput systems programming).
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
- 6+ years of industry experience, building scalable infrastructure software or distributed systems for commercial online services
- Experience developing object-oriented software, with deep experience in one or more relevant languages (Java, C++, or C#)
- Experience with open source contributions or community driven research and development.
- Experience with Commuications/Media protocols and standards such as WebRTC, SDP, RTP, and SIP.
- Experience developing cloud software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability.
- Experience with EC2, SNS, SQS, DynamoDB and S3
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.