Join us in building the next generation Control Plane service platform that runs the Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) web service. Our platform handles a significant load of Internet traffic generated by customers that build their platforms on EC2.
Our Software Development Managers are strong technical leaders and owners who’s primary responsibilities are to hire and develop great talent, engage with stakeholders and customers to build out feature roadmaps for the services they own. Finally, they manage the Software Development Life Cycle and operations of these services. Our managers exemplify Amazon’s leadership principles.
As a Software Development Manager with a proven track record you help your team identify and follow their purpose. You are responsible for building out, owning and maintaining your service. You have extensive understanding of distributed systems and can work with your team to deliver high quality solutions in a timely manner that are designed for scale and low operational cost. As a developer of great talent, you develop the best engineers to deliver services that are able to support the demands associated with the world’s leading cloud provider. You are able to work with stakeholders to develop and deliver on your feature and investment roadmap. You have excellent verbal and written skills and communicate effectively with technology and business oriented stakeholders - whether it is to communicate your team’s roadmap, having difficult trade off discussions or managing customer expectations.
· Proven results oriented person with a delivery focus and demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and fast paced environment.
· Translation of complex functional and technical requirements into detailed project plans and schedules; manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team by defining, implementing and maintaining a coherent, progressive development strategy for our product line.
· Evolution of the software engineering practice within the organization, including better reporting, tools, and evolution of development methodology
· Report on status of product quality to management, customer support and product teams via rigorous execution of detailed plans and accurate reporting of test cases executed, bugs discovered, bugs fixed, etc.
· Continue to build an effective development organization by driving the recruiting and hiring of senior level engineers, developing and managing the group, and conducting performance reviews of team members
· Degree in Computer Science/Information technology or equivalent
· 5-10 years experience in Software development
· 4+ years as a Software Development Manager
· Knowledge and experience with one or more development methodologies.
· Experience in developing engineering processes.
· MS in Engineering, Computer Science, Information Sciences or equivalent
· Experience with Linux/Unix and UNIX tools.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer, and we value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief. Amazon is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from South African citizens who are members of designated groups who may contribute to Employment Equity within the workplace and the further diversification of ideas. In this regard, the relevant laws and principles associated with Employment Equity will be considered when appointing potential candidates. We are required by law to verify your ability to work lawfully in South Africa. Amazon requires that you submit a copy of either your identity document or your passport and any applicable work permit if you are a foreign national, along with an updated curriculum vitae.