Amazon F3 (Fresh, Food, Fast) mission is to remove unwanted chores from our customers' lives by providing easy, fast, and high-quality ways to feed themselves and their families. This role is with F3-VIDA (Voice of the Customer, Insights, Design & Analytics) we are a centralized team in F3 that leads design initiatives, analytics and insight generation across the end-to-end shopping journey for grocery customers. As part of this team, you have the opportunity to discover insights that drive changes in how customers shop and interact with our growing global grocery offer. We start with the customer and work backwards in everything we do, including groceries. If you’re interested in joining a rapidly growing team working to build a unique, world-class experience with a relentless focus on the customer, you’ve come to the right place.
As a Data Scientist on the team, you’ll have huge impact on how customers, even friends and family, engage with Amazon through building infrastructure to answer questions with data, using software engineering best practices, data management fundamentals, and recent advances in distributed systems (i.e. MapReduce, noSQL databases). You will work with passionate scientists, business intelligence engineers, software development engineers, researchers, designers and product managers, to deliver a variety of stable and performant data feeds used for developing business insights as well as offline machine learning use cases.
We love to work with smart people who have a strong sense of ownership and strong engineering mindset. You are a technical leader for your team and a great mentor. You provide perspective and context for technology choices. You’re up to the challenge of realtime notification strategies, latency, TPS, mobile network limitations, device fragmentation, and building an end-to-end platform that internal Amazon teams integrate with. You motivate your team to pursue ambiguous situations and rapidly produce prototypes for a more personalized experience. You outline paths from prototype to product. You deeply invest in each colleague's career growth, improving their technical knowledge, and defining your team's operational metrics.
Key responsibilities include:
· Design, build and automate datasets to scale and support business needs, allowing you to focus on answering hard and ambiguous question
· Identify, develop, manage, and execute research to uncover areas of opportunity and present recommendations that will shape the future of the retail website
· Collaborate with Qualitative Researchers on an iterative approach to a deep understanding of our customers and their behaviors
· Retrieve and analyze data using a broad set of Amazon’s data technologies and resources, knowing how, when, and which to use.
· Collaborate with product, technical, business, marketing, finance, and UX leaders to gather data and metrics requirements.
· Design, drive and analyze experiments to form actionable recommendations. Present recommendations to business leaders and drive decisions.
· Manage and execute entire projects from start to finish including project management, data gathering and manipulation, synthesis and modeling, problem solving, and communication of insights and recommendations.
· Develop and document scientific research to be shared with the greater data science community at Amazon
· Master’s degree in a highly quantitative field (Machine Learning, AI, Computer Science, Statistics, Engineering, Mathematics, Operational Research, etc.), or equivalent quantitative field
· At least 5 years of experience with data querying languages (e.g. SQL), scripting languages (e.g. Python), or statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R, Stata, Matlab).
· Experienced in using multiple data science methodologies to solve complex business problems (e.g. statistical analysis, research science, machine learning and deep learning techniques, data modeling, regression modeling, financial analysis, demand modeling, etc.).
· Ability to distill informal customer requirements into problem statements while operating with competing objectives.
· Demonstrable track record of dealing well with ambiguity, prioritizing needs, and delivering results in a dynamic environment.
· Proven ability to communicate verbally and in writing to technical peers and leadership teams with various levels of technical knowledge, educating them about systems and algorithms, as well as sharing insights and data-driven recommendations.
· A PhD degree in a highly quantitative field (Machine Learning, AI, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Operational Research, etc.), or equivalent quantitative field
· Knowledge in working with datasets from built environment telemetry, and associated protocols
· Extensive knowledge and practical experience in several of the following areas: machine learning, statistics, NLP, deep learning, recommendation systems, information retrieval.
· 8+ years of experience working in data science in e-commerce
· Experience processing, filtering, and presenting large quantities (Millions to Billions of rows) of data.
· Experience designing experiments, and ability to infer causal relationships.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively advocate technical solutions to research scientists, engineering teams and business audiences
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.