This is a Day 1 opportunity to build a new service. Possible additional locations for this role include Arlington, VA.
The Trend Analytics team is seeking a Think Big and Dive Deep Data Scientist. You will be working on some of the most interesting and challenging problems at Amazon. You will work on a cross-functional team with economists, data engineers and business analysts. You will work with terabytes of data to develop data insights and machine learning models.
A successful candidate will have a passion for clarity, be a self-starter comfortable with (and ideally prefer) ambiguity, have strong attention to detail, be able to work in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment and be driven by a desire to innovate. Given the complex nature of the questions we are working on, the ideal candidate will be relentlessly curious and be able to/be interested in having the business conversation underlying the data.
This is a unique and highly differentiated opportunity for candidates looking to grow their skillset and accelerate their career.
· Discover actionable insights from large volumes of data.
· Develop new statistical and machine learning models to detect new and unknown market trends
· Improve upon existing methodologies for specific business segments by developing new data sources, testing model enhancements, and fine-tuning model parameters.
· Deliver with independence on challenging large scale problems with ambiguity.
· Provide requirements to develop analytic capabilities, platforms, and pipelines.
· Apply statistical or machine learning knowledge to specific business problems and data.
· Formalize assumptions about how our systems are expected to work, create statistical definition of outliers, and develop methods to systematically identify these outliers. Work out why such examples are outliers and define if any actions needed.
· Conduct written and verbal presentation to share insights and recommendations to audiences of varying levels of technical sophistication.
· Masters in Statistics, Economics, Data Science, Applied Science or relevant field of study
· 3+ years of experience with data scripting languages (e.g. SQL, Python, R etc.)
· 3+ years of work experience as a data scientist
· Highly skilled in data and math/statistical methods (i.e. modeling, algorithms)
· In-depth knowledge on supervised and unsupervised machine learning algorithms including classification, clustering, and regression.
· Evidence of using of relevant statistical measures such as confidence intervals, significance of error measurements, development and evaluation data sets, etc. in data analysis projects
· Depth and breadth in quantitative knowledge. Excellent quantitative modeling, statistical analysis skills and problem-solving skills. Sophisticated user of statistical tools
· Experience processing, filtering, and presenting large quantities (Millions/Billions of rows) of data
· Combination of deep technical skills and business savvy enough to interface with all levels and disciplines within our Amazon
· Demonstrable track record of dealing well with ambiguity, prioritizing needs, and delivering results in a dynamic environment
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively advocate technical solutions to research scientists, engineering teams and business audiences
· Ability to develop experimental and analytic plans for data modeling processes, use of strong baselines, ability to accurately determine cause and effect relations