Alexa is Amazon’s intelligent cloud-based voice recognition and natural language understanding virtual assistant. We’re building the speech and language solutions behind Amazon Alexa and other Amazon products and services. Come join our team and help improve the customer experience for the growing base of Alexa users!
The Alexa Artificial Intelligence (AI) team is seeking a talented Applied Scientist to build ML models to detect issues that end-users have in their interactions with Alexa (defects and their possible root causes). These models are then used to monitor trends over time with Customer Experience (CX) metrics, guardrail metrics in weblabs, setting defect reduction goals, and defect discovery and resolution.
A day in the life
· Design, build, test and release predictive ML models
· Ensure data quality throughout all stages of acquisition and processing, including such areas as data sourcing/collection, ground truth generation, normalization, and transformation.
· Collaborate with colleagues from science, engineering and business backgrounds.
· Present proposals and results to partner teams in a clear manner backed by data and coupled with actionable conclusions
· Work with engineers to develop efficient data querying and inference infrastructure for both offline and online use cases
About the hiring group
Alexa AI is an analytics and science team within Alexa. Our mission is to provide an understanding of the customer experience that allows Alexa teams to improve system performance and customer engagement. Our primary deliverables are CX metrics, analytics tools, and customer insights.
As an Applied Scientist with our Alexa AI team, you will work on assessing Alexa's performance using predictive ML models. You will build and improve models to classify Alexa’s responses as correct/incorrect, and predict the most likely cause of failure in cases of incorrect action. Your work will directly impact our customers in the form of products and services that make use of speech and language technology, particularly in developing predictive models to continuously improve the Alexa experience for our customers.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
· PhD or equivalent Master's Degree plus 4+ years of experience in CS, CE, ML or related field
· 2+ years of experience of building machine learning models for business application
· Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
· Experience with classical ML models (e.g., regression, trees), test/train/evaluation metrics, key parameters/techniques that affect model performance
· Experience with deep ML models (e.g., Transformers, BERT).
· Experience with Python/PySpark
· Experience with SQL
· Experience analyzing data to identify patterns and conducting error/deviation analysis; passion for fixing issues in the data and finding the optimal representation.
· A business analytical mind; ability to communicate with consumers of the model and present results in intuitive ways.
· Understanding of relevant statistical measures such as confidence intervals, significance of error measurements, development and evaluation data sets.
· Ability to develop experimental and analytic plans for data modeling processes, use of strong baselines, ability to accurately determine cause and effect relations