Amazon Web Services (AWS) Hardware Engineering team creates compute and storage server designs for Amazon’s innovative web services. Our designs are industry-leading in performance, frugality and operational excellence, and are critical to the success of the AWS business and the more than one million customers who use AWS today. Our Systems Engineers solve challenging technology problems, and build architecturally sound, high-quality server platforms and components to enable AWS to realize critical business strategies. We are seeking experienced Systems Development Engineers to build and operate the next generation of our cloud platforms. Our success depends on our world-class server infrastructure; we’re handling massive scale and rapid integration of emergent technologies.
What you will do: As a member of the Storage Hardware Engineering team you will leverage your system software development and operational expertise to design, develop, and operate leading edge storage platforms.You will interact with engineers across the company, and work with an interdisciplinary team to execute product designs from concept to production including design, development, validation, and the successful implementation of your work at large scale. You’ll provide leadership in the application of new storage technologies to large scale deployments in a continuous effort to deliver a world-class customer experience. This is a fast-paced, intellectually challenging position, and you’ll work with thought leaders in multiple technology areas. You’ll have high standards for yourself and everyone you work with, and you’ll be constantly looking for ways to improve your products performance, quality and cost. We’re changing an industry, and we want individuals who are ready for this challenge and want to reach beyond what is possible today.
Why it matters: Public cloud IT services represent the majority of growth in the overall IT services market and will continue to do so for several years to come. The scale of AWS, combined with an understanding of how our hardware is used, creates a unique opportunity for hardware customizations that will directly benefit AWS customers. Amazon has thousands of unique services, both big and small that power the Retail website (Amazon.com), Amazon Web Services, Kindle, Amazon Instant Video and more. These services run on hardware around the world. We continually need to deploy newer, innovative, and more efficient and cost effective hardware. Your work will drive efficiency and significant cost savings while improving the performance and reliability of our websites and services. Your work will touch development teams and customers around the world.
Why you will love it: You will work directly with engineers across the company to build next-generation storage platforms. You will have a direct impact on our bottom line and the ability to deliver improvements for our customers. You will be part of a growing, fast paced, and fun team. You will have ownership for the implementation of your work.
· 4+ years of professional software development experience.
· 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as C++, C#, Java, Python, Golang, PowerShell, Ruby
· 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
· Bachelor's degree in Computer or Electrical Engineering or related field.
· 3+ years of experience in system software design and development in one or more of C/C++, Python, and/or Java.
· Master’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Computer or Electrical Engineering, or related field.
· 10+ years of experience in software systems and application development and operation for large scale applications.
· Strong understanding and hands-on experience with Linux kernel and user space software development.
· Hands-on experience in Site Reliability Engineering, with a focus on running scalable and distributed application software across many data centers leveraging operational health and performance monitoring systems.
· Demonstrated experience developing system health and performance monitoring tools as well as automated software testing, deployment and performance analysis systems.
· Knowledge and hands-on operational experience with networked and/or direct attached storage systems and SSD/HDD devices.
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us/.