The Alexa Artificial Intelligence (AI) team is looking for a passionate, talented and inventive Senior Applied Scientist with a strong machine learning background to build state-of-the-art ML systems powering Alexa’s interactions with its customers. Join a dynamic and innovative team of scientists who are using machine learning, large scale database, information retrieval and natural language technologies to make Alexa more knowledgeable and accurate.
A day in the life
As a Senior Applied Scientist, you will be developing AI & ML techniques in entity representation, linking, and knowledge graph problems. You will enjoy a creative environment that balances research with application, explore the frontier of ML techniques, and help build a key piece for Alexa's functionality. You will work closely with engineering and business teams to lead the end-to-end process of identifying problems, implementing solutions, and scientifically measuring the impact on downstream systems. If you love massive scale problems and want to build AI systems which reach out to millions of users - this is the team for you!
About the hiring group
The Alexa AI organization is responsible for cutting-edge research and development in virtually all fields of human language technology, with the objective of making Alexa more smarter, trustworthy and responsive for our customers. Our team is focused on organizing information and knowledge, and making it actionable on Alexa through natural inputs in all languages and all modalities.
· Use NLP, deep learning and graph ML techniques to create scalable solutions for entity ingestion, linking and creation of enriched knowledge representations
· Develop systems to extract & align entity information from massive structured and unstructured catalogs and knowledge bases, and process them to build linked entity representations
· Design, experiment and evaluate highly innovative models for predictive, explainable learning
· Work closely with other scientists from Alexa AI teams to build state-of-the-art ML systems powering Alexa
· Work closely with software engineering teams to drive real-time model experiments, implementations and new feature creations
· Research and implement novel machine learning and statistical approaches
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
· PhD degree with 4 years of applied research experience or a Masters degree and 6+ years of experience of applied research experience
· 3+ years of experience in building machine learning models for business application
· Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
· 7+ years of relevant experience in industry and/or academia
· Experience in Natural Language Processing, Information Retrieval, Deep Learning, Machine Learning or a related field
· Demonstrated use of modeling and optimization techniques & algorithm development tailored to meet business needs
· Excellent written, verbal communication & data presentation skills
· Prior experience in the domains of knowledge representation, entity linking and retrieval
· Publications in top venues such as EMNLP, ACL, NAACL, COLING, KDD, SIGMOD, WWW, AAAI