Amazon Advertising is one of Amazon's fastest growing and most profitable businesses, responsible for defining and delivering a collection of advertising products that drive discovery and sales. Our products are strategically important to our Retail and Marketplace businesses driving long term growth. We deliver billions of ad impressions and millions of clicks and break fresh ground in product and technical innovations every day!
We are looking for an Applied Scientist to join the Audience Metrics and Telemetry team in Boulder, CO.
What we do: Advertisers need to create targeted, personalized experiences for people if they want to grab their attention. To help match ads to the right users, our engineering teams curate so-called "audiences", which group people with similar interests, lifestyle, demographics, or purchase intentions. Our services ingest billions of behavioral signals every day, apply machine learning and statistical models to package these signals into audiences, and decorate them for every ad request received within a fraction of a second. This allows ad campaigns to run more effectively and to adjust the messaging for different customer groups. Audience Metrics and Telemetry owns lifecycle and performance management for millions of audiences, running A/B experiments to quantify incremental lift in performance and ensuring that our audience portfolio is first rate.
What to expect: As a scientist on the team, you can be involved in every aspect of the process - from idea generation, business analysis and scientific research, through to development and deployment of advanced models. We expect you to deliver end-to-end solutions rather than algorithm prototypes and you will work closely with the other scientists and engineers in the organization to productionize, scale, and deploy your models world-wide. A successful candidate will be a self-starter comfortable with ambiguity, with strong attention to detail and with great leadership and communication skills. In turn, we offer an exceptional opportunity to grow your technical and non-technical skills and make a real difference to the Amazon Advertising business.
As on Applied Scientist on the Audience Metrics and Telemetry team, you will:
· Rapidly design, prototype and test many possible hypotheses in a high-ambiguity environment, making use of both quantitative analysis and business judgment.
· Research and implement novel machine learning and statistical approaches.
· Report results in a manner which is both statistically rigorous and compelling to read for non-scientists
· Collaborate with software engineering teams to integrate successful experimental results into large-scale, highly complex Amazon production systems.
· Contribute to Amazon's Intellectual Property through patents and/or external publications.
· Research optimal ML models, build ML models, perform proof-of-concept and deploy ML models into production.
Work environment: The position is based in sunny Boulder, CO with easy access to the mountains. We recognize the benefits of a more flexible schedule and welcome work-from-home a couple of days per week.
Why you will love this opportunity: Amazon is investing heavily in building a world-class advertising business. This team is responsible for defining and delivering a collection of advertising products that drive discovery and sales. Our solutions generate billions in revenue and drive long-term growth for Amazon’s Retail and Marketplace businesses. We deliver billions of ad impressions, millions of clicks daily, and break fresh ground to create world-class products. We are highly motivated, collaborative, and fun-loving team with an entrepreneurial spirit - with a broad mandate to experiment and innovate.
Impact and Career Growth: You will invent new experiences and influence customer-facing shopping experiences to help suppliers grow their retail business and the auction dynamics that leverage native advertising; this is your opportunity to work within the fastest-growing businesses across all of Amazon! Define a long-term science vision for our advertising business, driven fundamentally from our customers' needs, translating that direction into specific plans for research and applied scientists, as well as engineering and product teams. This role combines science leadership, organizational ability, technical strength, product focus, and business understanding.
Team video https://youtu.be/zD_6Lzw8raE
· PhD or equivalent Master's Degree plus 4+ years of experience in CS, CE, ML or related field
· 2+ years of experience of building machine learning models for business application
· Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
· Familiarity with a broad range of statistical and machine learning paradigms (e.g. classification, regression, unsupervised learning, structured prediction, explore-exploit)
· Good verbal and written communication
· Able to work in a diverse team
· Published research work in academic conferences or industry circles.
· Experience in building large-scale machine-learning models and infra for online recommendation, ads ranking, personalization, or search, etc.
· Technical leadership in machine learning.
· Effective and crisp verbal and written communication skills with non-technical and technical audiences.
· Experience working with very large real-world data sets and building scalable models from big data.
· Successful industry experience.
· Thinks strategically, but stays on top of tactical execution.
· Exhibits excellent business judgment; balances business, product, and technology very well.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
The pay range for this position in Colorado is $124,500; however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. A sign-on bonus and restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. This information is provided per the Colorado Equal Pay Act. Base pay information is based on market location. Applicants should apply via Amazon's internal or external careers site.