At Amazon we strive to be earth’s most customer centric company and data is a foundational component to making this happen. Are you curious about new platforms and technologies and have a desire to deliver world-class customer service? Are you excited by the idea of owning a problem and innovating on behalf of customers? Can you deal with ambiguity and keep up with the pace of a company whose cycles are measured in weeks, not years?
The Device, Digital & Alexa Support (D2AS) team works with some of the fastest growth areas in the company. Amazon introduced the first Kindle in 2007 - since then, we have expanded to become the best-selling e-reader family in the world. We have gone beyond Kindle with our powerhouse Fire tablets, built for work and play with our Fire operating system. For streaming media lovers, we have created Amazon Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, and Fire TV Edition with voice search. Fire TV devices come with access to 500,000 movies, TV shows, and tens of thousands of channels, and apps. In 2014, we introduced Amazon Echo and Alexa, the voice service that powers Echo and other devices so customers can play music, control their smart homes, and get information, news, weather, and more using just their voice. Alexa is now integrated with over 20,000 third party devices from 3,500 brands. Alexa has 50,000 skills and developers in 180 countries.
The Device, Digital & Alexa Support (D2AS) – Tech team is looking for a Manager, Data Science. This position will lead innovative science solutions and products to increase Amazon’s ability to personalize Customer Service: from models to understand customer needs, optimization models to identify the best solution, and personalized recommender systems. You will identify specific and actionable opportunities to solve existing Customer problems and develop science based products.
The ideal candidate will have outstanding communication skills, strong technical knowledge, proven ability to lead a team scientists, with an innate drive to deliver results. She/he will be comfortable with ambiguity and will enjoy working in a fast-paced environment.
· Lead a team across technical job families - scientists and engineers
· Manage a science agenda that balances short term deliverables with measurable business impact with long term projects.
· Develop a roadmap/products for ML model deployment
· Provide technical and scientific guidance to team members
· Hire and develop top talent
· Collaborate with business and software teams both within and outside of D2AS
· Degree in mathematics, statistics, computer science, engineering, economics or related field
· 5+ years of experience in data science
· Experience solving complex and highly ambiguous business challenges.
· Strong verbal and written communication.
· Ability to plan roadmap, prioritize tasks, manage dependencies and deliver on time.
· Proficient with standard machine learning techniques and ML model deployment engineering best practices.
· Optimization model development
· Understanding of software development life cycle and/or agile development environment
· At least 2 years of people management experience.