Interested in Amazon Alexa? We’re building the speech and language solutions behind Amazon Echo and other Amazon products and services. As part of our speech and language team, you will work alongside internationally recognized experts to develop novel algorithms and modeling techniques to build and advance state-of-the-art spoken language understanding systems. Your work will directly impact millions of our customers in the form of products and services that make use of speech and language technology.
A day in the life
Our mission is to create a delightful experience to Amazon’s customers by advancing the state-of-the art in Natural Language Understanding (NLU) and Machine Learning (ML). You will gain hands-on experience with Amazon’s heterogeneous speech, text, and structured data sources, and large-scale computing resources to accelerate advances in spoken language understanding. You will deliver algorithms, model building tools and workflows based on experimental results and actively participate in strategic planning.
About the hiring group
We’re building natural language solutions for Amazon Alexa. Our innovation impacts internal Amazon developers and end customers of Alexa and other Amazon services in multiple languages.
The team is composed of scientists and engineers who jointly develop prototypes and production models/tools.
We are looking for passionate and creative Applied Scientist to help build industry-leading speech and language solutions to enhance user interactions with our products and provide the best-possible experience for our customers.
As an Applied Scientist on our team, you will build and optimize cutting-edge natural language understanding systems and conduct core research aimed at advancing the state of the art. This involves:
· Researching the latest modeling techniques. Understanding trade-offs between competing approaches, and identifying the ones that are likely to have real impact on our customers.
· Implementing and/or improving modeling tools, training recipes and prototypes utilizing programming skills in Python and/or Java.
· Conducting experiments to assess the quality of language processing modules and to study the effect of different modeling techniques.
· Analyzing field data in order to identify areas of possible improvement or enhancement of the system.
· Presenting and discussing ideas and results within the team and beyond.
· Graduate degree (masters or PhD) in computer science, engineering, mathematics or related areas
· Coding skills (preferably Python and/or C/C++)
· Comprehensive and deep knowledge of a relevant field of research, such as machine learning, statistical modeling, natural language understanding, machine translation, speech recognition
· Experience using Unix/Linux
· Dependable written and oral communication skills (English)
· Explicit (industry or academic) experience with with large vocabulary speech recognition or natural language understanding
· PhD and 5+ years of work experience in a product-oriented environment, or 10+ years of work experience
· Expertise in any of the following areas: algorithms and data structures, parsing, numerical optimization, data mining, parallel and distributed computing, high-performance computing
· Be an avid programmer, with extensive expertise in Python, Java or C++
· Experience in professional software development