The Fresh Food Fast organization is responsible for transforming the online and offline grocery experience for Amazon. We are seeking a senior science leader to define our long-term science vision, build out a high-performing team and deliver business critical scientific models to increase customer engagement, inform long-term investment decisions, and measure how grocery is contributing to Prime and Amazon.
A day in the life
· You will influence senior leaders (VP+) across business, product, finance, and engineering functions and you will partner closely with central Amazon teams to pioneer new models to measure grocery’s future impact to Prime and Amazon.
· You will manage a team of Data Scientists, Economists and BIEs to deliver results on behalf of customers
About the hiring group
We’re a team of Product Managers, Data Scientists, Economists and Business Intelligence Engineers focused on deeply understanding how F3 customers engage with physical and online grocery stores in order to enhance their shopping experience, drive engagement and loyalty, and measure their long-term impact to Amazon.
Your team will apply complex scientific methods to challenging business problems including, “How can we encourage customers to shop more frequently?”, and “how should we measure the impact of physical store expansion and technology innovation in those stores (e.g. Just Walk Out Technology)?”. You will power through ambiguity, finding the right solutions to problems and influencing others to align with your approach and help drive results. You will mentor and develop scientists to achieve their goals, raising the bar technically and driving scale and efficiencies to better leverage our data and technologies.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
· Graduate degree (MS or PhD) in a quantitative field (economics, applied science, research science, statistics, or equivalent) · 7+ years experience of practical experience solving complex business problems with science (e.g. Machine Learning, Econometrics) · 3+ years experience managing Scientists · Skilled with Java, Python, or other programming language
· 10+ years experience of practical experience solving complex business problems with science (e.g. Machine Learning, Econometrics)
· 5+ years experience managing Scientists
· Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices in software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
· Experience building complex, large-scale, data-intensive software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
· Project management experience for working on cross-functional projects working in a face-paced and evolving environment
· Proven achievements of developing and managing a long-term research vision and portfolio of research initiatives, with algorithms and models that have been successfully integrated in production systems
· Experience using AWS solutions
· Experience with distributed computing including tools such as EMR, Hadoop, Spark
· Superior analytical skills. Demonstrated ability to identify and solve ambiguous problems
· Demonstrated ability to operate both strategically and tactically in a high-energy, fast-paced environment
· High degree of organization and ability to manage multiple, competing priorities
· Experience hiring and leading experienced scientists as well as a successful record of developing junior members from academia/industry