Neighbors (https://ring.com/neighbors), launched in 2018, is a hyperlocal social networking app providing real-time crime and safety alerts from neighbors and public safety agencies. With Neighbors, you can always know when and where things are happening in your area, and share updates to keep you and your community informed. The Neighbors app is available on iOS (4.8 stars), Android (4.6 stars), recently launched on Web, and is also included as an embedded experience within the Ring app. Neighbors is used by millions of people each month.
A day in the life
Content Engineering is responsible for the management of all content on the Neighbors Platform. Team responsibilities include building a toolset for moderating User Generated Content, tools to ingest and publish news and safety information from third party partners, and tools for the Neighbors News Team to curate and publish News and Safety alerts.
About the hiring group
The team owns services that have been built primarily in Go, and Python, regularly utilize Lambdas as part of an event driven architecture, and are responsible for delivering a combination of backend services and web tools used by internal customers (Neighbors Administrators, and Neighbors News Team).
The moderation tooling includes a machine learning (ML) component ripe for future investment and the team leverages a rich set of AWS services that are used in the team’s solutions including: S3, DynamoDB, SQS, Kinesis, API Gateway, Cloudwatch, Elastic Search, Lambda, Cloud Auth, Redshift, Athena, along with Amazon’s standard Builder Hub Tools. The team consists of a combination of backend, full-stack, and front end developers.
As a Senior Software Development Engineer, you will play a pivotal role in shaping the definition, vision, design, roadmap and development of core applications and services within the Neighbors team at Ring. This role will work closely with a cross-functional team of engineers (mobile, front-end, backend), product managers, designers, and marketers to design, test, learn, and iterate on solutions in a fast-paced environment.
• Be responsible for the design, development and maintenance of core services
• Work with team members to investigate design approaches, prototype new technology and evaluate technical feasibility
• Lead architecture and design of new features, from conception to launch
• Help to improve engineering processes and tools to increase team effectiveness
• Be part of an agile development process to deliver high-quality software
• Be given the opportunity to autonomously deliver the technical direction of services, against the feature roadmap
• Work with extraordinary talent and have the opportunity to hire and shape the team to best execute on the product.
• Mentor and coach junior software engineers in order to improve their skills, and make them more effective, software engineers
The ideal candidate:
• Has a strong foundation in software development, design patterns, and cloud computing
• Has experience working with large scale cloud systems, understanding how to architect and build them
• Is highly effective and thrives in a dynamic environment with multiple, changing priorities
• Knows what is important when shipping products to customers and has been through the process from start to finish
• Promotes robust and maintainable code, clear documentation, and delivers high quality work on tight schedules
• This role involves design, architecture, implementation, and operation of large-scale cloud systems.
· 4+ years of professional software development experience
· 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
· 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field, with strong Computer Science fundamentals
• 5+ years of experience building successful production software systems. Full stack experience is a bonus.
• 5+ years of experience with OO design/development skills
• 5+ years of experience with REST service architecture
• 5+ years of experience in a variety of modern programming languages (Java, Go, C/C++, Python)
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field
• Experience working with AWS services (S3, CloudFormation, DynamoDB, EC2, CloudWatch, Kinesis, SQS, etc…)
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing and operations
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills