Project Kuiper is an initiative to launch a constellation of Low Earth Orbit satellites that will provide low-latency, high-speed broadband connectivity to unserved and underserved communities around the world. We are looking for an outstanding Reliability Test Engineer who will join the Kuiper Reliability Group in the development of satellite and ground components and subsystems.
Our group drives risk assessment, simulation, and test campaigns to validate designs and support fast iterations from concept to launch. We enjoy a very positive and well supported work environment.
A day in the life
The Reliability Test Engineer will help create and then drive environmental test efforts across several device technologies to support reliability analysis. Test efforts will be collaborative and supported by Kuiper's world class Space Simulation Lab. A successful candidate will be curious and accountable, and will bring strong experience in environmental test design, set up validation and data acquisition. The role also offers the opportunity to apply materials characterization and failure analysis expertise. Critical component testing will also be integral to the group's efforts to identify and mitigate risks. The Reliability Test Engineer role enjoys excellent visibility and opportunities to grow.
About the hiring group
The Reliability Group ensures that Kuiper's commitment to reliable service is demonstrated prior to launch. Each member in this multidisciplinary team promotes 'design for reliability' early in the development cycle, using physics of failure, simulation, comprehensive environmental testing at the subsystem level, and critical component qualification.
In order for both the candidate and the group to be successful, the candidate will:
· Participate in design reviews to align prototype and system readiness for testing and verification activities.
· Participate collectively in test design, and own test preparation, scheduling and execution, including initial data review.
· Proactively identify and procure supporting materials to meet scheduled milestones.
· Use CAD drawing for devices and cable harnessing and work closely with our machine shop.
· Manage instrumentation of devices and coupons e.g. thermocouples, strain and shock sensors and oversee data acquisition systems.
· Drive reliability test automation opportunities for high volume production.
Export Control Requirement
Due to applicable export control laws and regulations, candidates must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
· Bachelor’s degree in reliability, mechanical engineering or related discipline, or 7+ years of equivalent experience in design or test of EE or ME hardware.
· 5+ years experience in creating test plans for electrical and mechanical devices, including PCBAs.
· 5+ years working experience in Vibration & Shock / Temp-Humidity chambers / Vacuum / Microscopy
· 3+ years experience in specification driven testing ( e.g. SMC / JEDEC / J-STD / ASTM / MIL- / ISO etc..)
· 5+ years experience in the qualification of space or satellite assemblies.
· 5+ years driving data collection and reporting in product development.
· Experience with performing tests under standards SMC-S-016, GSFC-STD-7000 and/or MIL-STD-1540.
· Experience with reliability and environmental testing implementations for high volume production.
· Experience applying DOE methodologies, and a basic knowledge of statistical methods.
· Experience in failure analysis methods.
· Experience using JIRA / Sharepoint or Confluence.
· Experience running thermal vacuum testing for spacecraft components.
· Experience with NI LabVIEW.
· Experience in Python.
· Familiarity with common failure mechanisms in aerospace and satellite systems.
· Hands-on skills including installation of strain gages, accelerometers and thermocouples
· Basic electronic circuit troubleshooting skills.
· Hands on experience with data acquisition systems, data processing and presentation.
· Fabrication experience in test fixtures, SMT/TH soldering, and test set up assembly using safe working practices.
· Ability to coordinate between engineering, test lab and technicians and schedule testing resources.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills.