Want to work on the cutting edge of cloud technology? Can you explain complex information clearly, concisely and accurately to a technical audience? Can you define strategy and drive it with organizational leaders and subject matter experts? If yes, consider joining us as a Senior Technical Writer on our Amazon Web Services (AWS) documentation Internet of Things (IoT) team!
As a Senior Technical Writer, you are a creator and a leader whose work plays a key role in customer success. You will be the first customer for new features and services, diving deep to understand how they work, then making it real for customers through technical content. You will be the voice of the customer whose insights drive the continuous improvement of the technical documentation and the services themselves.
While hands-on experience with IoT and web services is ideal, it is not required. You will need some technical experience and the ability to dive deep into new technologies quickly. Any experience you have with Linux, XML, and Git is also a bonus. While we don’t expect you to be an expert in these areas, we hope you are excited to learn about them. You must also have the skills to work with organizational leaders, subject matter experts, and other writers to build content strategies and deliver results using agile models and processes.
· Author and deliver high-quality documentation for AWS IoT services
· Develop, negotiate, and drive content strategy in alignment with engineering product strategy
· Be the first "customer" – providing technical feedback on new features and experiences
· Work with customer data, gather feedback and drive your insights into content and product planning.
· Work with other writers and editors (yes, we have editors!!) to improve how we write, and evolve how we approach writing as a team.
The AWS Documentation team writes and provides support for a diverse audience consisting of developers, DevOps professionals, IT professionals, technical program managers, and scientists. We have both the technical background and the writing background that enable our team to deliver high-quality technical documentation. On behalf of our customers, we do much more than just write the docs. We innovate, we research, we learn, and we experiment. We collaborate with product managers to understand our customers’ needs. We partner with software developers to learn the inner workings of AWS services so that we can influence design and the customer experience. We know that what we do makes a difference in the successful adoption and implementation of AWS services.
AWS has the most services and more features within those services, than any other cloud provider–from infrastructure technologies like compute, storage, and databases–to emerging technologies, such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, data lakes and analytics, and Internet of Things. Whether its Identity features such as access management and sign on, cryptography, console, builder & developer tools, and even projects like automating all of our contractual billing systems, AWS Platform is always innovating with the customer in mind. The AWS Platform team sustains over 750 million transactions per second.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life—both in and outside of work.
We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level etc. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
· Bachelor's degree or relevant experience.
· Experience writing for developer and technical audiences - blog, product documentation, technical information.
· Experience working in an Agile team environment.
· Experience designing, planning, and delivering content projects.
· Experience with cloud computing or web services.
· Experience working on or closely with software development teams.
· Experience using an XML-based authoring system
· Technical experience in a major technology area such as Compute, Storage, Serverless, Database, Developer Tools, DevOps, Security or IoT.
· Experience working with agile project management methodologies.
· Experience working with XML, reStructuredText, or Markdown-based documentation systems.
· Experience working with Git or similar distributed version control system.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.