Do you like helping U.S. Intelligence Community agencies implement innovative cloud computing solutions and solve technical problems? Would you like to do this using the latest cloud computing technologies? Do you have a knack for helping these groups understand application architectures and integration approaches, and the consultative and leadership skills to launch a project on a trajectory to success?
The AWS Region Services Lighthouse Team is looking for a Data Scientist to lead the research and thought leadership to drive our data and insight strategy for Amazon Region Services. You will develop sophisticated algorithms that involve learning from large amounts of data. You will be responsible for researching, experimenting and analyzing predictive and optimization models.
You will provide to engineers, direction on technology strategy in data management, insights and Machine learning that will form the nucleus of providing data and insights as a service to our customers. You will work on ambiguous and complex business and research science problems with large opportunities. You are and comfortable working with cross-functional teams and systems.
What will you do?
· Interact with business and software teams to understand their business requirements and operational processes
· Frame business problems into scalable solutions
· Adapt existing and invent new techniques for solutions
· Create and track accuracy and performance metrics
· Gather data required for analysis and model building
· Prototype models by using high-level modeling languages such as R or in software languages such as Python. A software team will be working with you to transform prototypes into production.
· Interview, mentor, and develop scientists and engineers across the organization
· Create, enhance, and maintain technical documentation
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
We are dedicated to supporting our new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life—both in and outside of work.
This position requires that the candidate selected be a U.S. citizen and obtain and maintain a TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph.
Position Location: This role is available in either our Herndon, VA or Arlington, VA (HQ2) Campuses.
· Master's Degree in Statistics, Applied Math, Operations Research, Economics, or a related quantitative field + 2 years experience in Data Science or related Science discipline
· Bachelor's Degree in Statistics, Applied Math, Operations Research, Economics, or a related quantitative field + 5 years experience in Data Science or related Science discipline
· 3+ years professional experience developing statistical data analysis using R or Python.
· 5+ years professional experience in commercial/large scale system software development and delivery.
· Depth and breadth in quantitative knowledge. Excellent quantitative modeling, statistical analysis skills and problem-solving skills. Sophisticated user of statistical tools.
· Experience processing, filtering, and presenting large quantities (Millions to Billions of rows) of data
· Combination of deep technical skills and business savvy enough to interface with all levels and disciplines within our customer’s organization
· Experience with Big Data tools such as Redshift, EMR, Spark, etc...
· Some Machine Learning experience
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required as you will work very closely with diverse teams.
· Experience building new products and services from the ground up.
· Strong communications skills; you will be required to proactively engage fellow Amazonians both inside and outside of your team
· Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational databases.
· Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions.
· Deal well with ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly.
· Ability to synthesize requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and facilitate engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines.
· Expertise in software processes, web services, multi-tiered systems, and enterprise application integration.
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
*Please email AWS Sourcing Recruiter, Scott Korkowski (email@example.com) if you have questions.
**For more information on Amazon Web Services, please visit http://aws.amazon.com
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
If Arlington Location:
This role will sit in our new headquarters in Northern Virginia, where Amazon will invest $2.5 billion dollars, occupy 4 million square feet of energy efficient office space, and create at least 25,000 new full-time jobs. Our employees and the neighboring community will also benefit from the associated investments from the Commonwealth including infrastructure updates, public transportation improvements, and new access to Reagan National Airport.
By working together on behalf of our customers, we are building the future one innovative product, service, and idea at a time. Are you ready to embrace the challenge? Come build the future with us.