AbeBooks, an Amazon company, connects millions of buyers with booksellers from around the world. We provide a marketplace for hundreds of millions of items that includes everything from exquisite manuscripts and long lost books from your childhood, to postcards from Mohandas Gandhi and signed first editions of “A Farewell to Arms”.
About the Job
AbeBooks’ mission is “to help people find and buy any book from any bookseller”. As a part of this mission we work daily to help customers discover our marketplace and the millions of books available from thousands of booksellers. This is challenging and equally rewarding for a truly global marketplace for rare and collectable books. We feel proud to provide a seamless experience to buyers from over 200 countries purchasing products from sellers representing over 60 countries. Our sites get millions of page views every day, and we promote millions of books across several marketing channels. We like to think we know what we’re doing, and we’re always keen on learning and improving.
As an Engineer you will have an incredible opportunity to learn and navigate among dozens of products that make up AbeBooks marketplace. You will appreciate the complexity of the business domain, and learn to value simplicity in software intensive systems. You will dive deep into high performance inventory ingestion, API development and rich seller experiences. Last but not the least, you will be surrounded by smart and approachable colleagues, while living in beautiful Victoria, British Columbia.
· Have a strong sense of ownership and customer focus
· Care about code quality and readability
· Are comfortable working with highly scalable AWS systems as much as discussing software development processes with your peers
· Get inspired by collecting product and system metrics, and by proposing improvements
· Persevere when troubleshooting build, deployment or live issues
· Take code review feedback gracefully and provide your feedback with abundance
· Love to see your code deployed, and want to see it happening more often
· Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or related field
· 0-3 years of relevant software engineering experience
Preferred qualifications Experience with the following would be beneficial:
· Java ecosystem
· AWS ecosystem, like DDB, Lambda, Fargate and Kinesis
· Devops tools and culture
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us