As a Principal Optical Engineer, you will engage with an experienced cross-disciplinary staff to conceive and innovative consumer products. You will work closely with an internal inter-disciplinary team, and outside partners to drive key aspects of product definition, execution and validation. You must be responsive, flexible and able to succeed within an open collaborative peer environment. In this role, you will:
• Serve as the optics technologist for imaging optics components/modules development, drive the technology decision, influence the optical system architecture design, develop the optics system through the entire product life cycle, from road mapping to mass-production support.
• As the subject matter expert, design and innovate the optical combiner component/assembly to meet the product performance requirement.
• Manage the technical relationship with the technology vendors to deliver optics components/modules to the required specification and schedule
• Perform hands-on bring-up, testing and troubleshooting of optical subsystems and assemblies and associated electronics
• Travel to supplier and contract manufacturer sites world-wide to support product development activities (10% - 20% travel)
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
•Advanced Degree (MS, PhD) in optics, physics, engineering, materials science
•10+ years of experience in the industry.
•Experience in imaging optics, including lens design and combiner development.
•Optical module integration, assembly and testing experience.
•Hands-on optics modeling and simulation
•Proven track record of IP generation in optics design, optical system architecture, optics product, etc.
•Experience in designing and executing development projects with a design of experiment approach (DOE) to service, troubleshoot, and solve engineering problems.
•Experience in developing solutions utilizing both internal and vendor’s technology.
•Proven subject matter expertise in front of screen quality definition, materials and processing, Opto-electrical testing.
•Proven capability to define successful product specifications, measurements procedures, and reports which drive product decisions
•Knowledge in both sequential and non-sequential optics design tool (e.g. Zemax, Code V, LightTool, FRED and/or ASAP).
•Programming for data analysis, C# , LabVIEW, Matlab, etc.
•Experience in prototype bring-up, debug, fault detection, root cause and failure analysis.
•Knowledge of geometric, physical computational imaging optics, emphasizing in modeling and prototyping.
•Deep understanding of metrology, photometry, and color science.
•Strong track-record of delivering products with extensive experience in characterization, manufacturing process
•Excellent analytical skills, hands on problem solving, testing, and troubleshooting.
•Strong communication skills to influence cross-disciplinary discussions across diverse cultures with clarity and positivity.