We are a team of doers working passionately to apply cutting-edge advances in diagnostics technology to solve real-world problems. As a Bioinformatics Scientist, you will work with a unique and gifted team developing exciting medical diagnostic products and collaborate with cross-functional teams. Our team rewards intellectual curiosity while maintaining a laser-focus in bringing products to market. Competitive candidates are responsive, flexible, and able to succeed within an open, collaborative, entrepreneurial, startup-like environment. At the cutting edge of both academic and applied research in this product area, you have the opportunity to work together with some of the most talented scientists, engineers, and product managers.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at Amazon, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded scientist and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
· PhD or equivalent Master's degree plus 5+ years of research experience in a quantitative field
· 3+ years experience investigating the feasibility of applying scientific principals and concepts to business problems and products
· A quantitative and analytical background, with a STEM Degree (Computer Science / Math / Engineering / equivalent) and 3+ years relevant experience
· Excellent speaking-listening-writing skills, attention to details, proactive self-starter
· Experience working with, or as a researcher in healthcare or the life sciences, in computational biology (e.g. next-generation sequencing, population genetics, transcriptomics, metagenomics, epigenomics)
· Knowledge of a modern programming language (Python, Go, Java, etc.)
· Familiarity with Linux/Unix command-line interfaces
· Passion for science, technology and learning
· Builds and evaluates algorithms and statistical models to improve and expand existing bioinformatics tools/applications/pipelines
· Continued or advanced learning (Masters, PhD, post-doctoral research or equivalent) in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology or a related field
· Previous industry experience
· Familiarity with tools and methodologies used in clinical sequencing labs
· Understanding trends in areas relevant to the role, such as next-generation sequencing
· Proven ability to identify, analyze and solve ambiguous problems with attention to detail
· Experience developing bioinformatics tools and software in a CLIA/CAP regulated environment
· Understanding of statistical and analytical workings of commonly used bioinformatics tools (e.g. variant callers and aligners)
· Experience collaborating effectively with internal or external stakeholder groups at multiple levels
· History of independent research as evidenced by a track record of publications, patent filings, conference presentations or invited talks
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us