AbeBooks, an Amazon company, is a global online marketplace for books, with hundreds of millions of new, used, rare and out-of-print books listed for sale by thousands of sellers. AbeBooks is consistently ranked as one of BC's Top Employers, with great perks like a snack wall, social events, and personal development days.
AbeBooks Seller Management and Customer Success (SMCS) team is looking for a Technical Writer to develop high quality, user-centered content for our global buyer and seller customer base, and support content for the Customer Support team. In this role, you'll follow our style guides to create clear and concise content to help internal and external customers succeed. You'll collaborate with internal business partners (product and program managers, UI designers, account managers, and software development engineers) to develop communication strategies and content. You'll own content writing and management, process development, and quality governance in support of team success, while also working independently on multiple projects. With new programs, products, and strategies being developed and launched all the time, the opportunities for imaginative and innovative thinking and content strategy are endless.
You are self-directed, and comfortable contributing within a fast-paced, high-energy environment. You have demonstrated experience writing and editing high quality content for a variety of audiences in the technology and/or marketing field. Strong editing, interpersonal skills, time management, and attention to detail are required. You must be able to manage multiple deadlines and develop realistic work back schedules. You must be able to look around corners to identify opportunities. You must be comfortable managing stakeholder relationships across all levels of the organization.
As a Technical Writer, you will:
· Write new and optimize existing content for internal and external customers including (i) customer and employee processes, (ii) blurbs and help content for new or changing product or business launches, (iii) seller-directed content such as surveys, emails, and tutorials.
· Collaborate with stakeholders to align operational processes and content to meet customer needs.
· Collaborate with multiple teams to gain alignment on content strategy and execution planning
· Identify and address opportunities to improve internal and external content using data and customer anecdotes.
· Investigate, analyze, and improve content to improve operational metrics and content development processes.
· Obsess over details and advocate for the delivery of the right content at the right time, delivered in the right place.
AbeBooks provides competitive salaries and great benefits. What really makes us stand out is the world-class team of people that you get to work with every day. We trust our employees because we only hire the best. We want people who are prepared to challenge the status quo and always raise the bar.
AbeBooks is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. AbeBooks is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
We appreciate your interest in AbeBooks!
· Bachelor’s Degree or the equivalent in English, Journalism, Technical Communications, Information Sciences, or related discipline
· 3+ years of related professional experience
· Proven experience in program management including essential project management skills
· Experience defining and improving SOPs and customer-facing blurbs in a business environment
· Functional knowledge of Microsoft systems including: Word, SharePoint, Visio, Excel and PowerPoint
· Familiarity with basics of HTML: Formatting text, creating tables, setting links.
· Ability to analyze customer-related data and draw conclusions, leading to improvement initiative recommendations
· Ability to multi-task & prioritize, with strong organizational and follow-up skills
· Excellent English-language skills (spoken, reading, and written)
· Experience with Content Management processes and tools.
· 5+ years as a technical writer, editor, editorial strategist, or similar
· Experience creating content for translation and localization; ability to speak other languages a plus.
· Experience working with product and UI designers, and writing UI text
· Experience working as part of a global team with remote colleagues
· Experience with information architecture
· Aptitude to quickly learn new systems and software
· Strong bias for action, ownership and the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines