Within Alexa Shopping, we are forming a new, insurgent team to better serve Alexa customers who are less engaged with Amazon stores. This is a large cohort of customers who want to use Alexa as their Shopping assistant and we want to meet the particular needs of these customers. The first job is to understand these customers better, how they shop in and out of Amazon stores, how they use Alexa and Alexa Shopping features, and what gaps remain between their needs and the features we have today.
A day in the life
You will use data science to better understand how we can fulfill Alexa Shopping’s aspirations to be the anywhere shopping AI for with a focus on customers who are less engaged with Amazon. In the first months on the job, you will hire a new team and undertake a deep dive on this customer cohort using data on Amazon shopping behaviors, Alexa feature usage and primary research on their needs. This deep dive will lead to specific marketing program, feature and product ideas. You will influence the most senior leaders in the Alexa Shopping organization to steer marketing and feature roadmaps in order to better serve these customers. In the first year, you will write several PRFAQs for new feature and product ideas and you will advocate for them at the highest levels of the organization.
About the hiring group
At Alexa Shopping, we strive to enable shopping in everyday life through technology innovations in both voice and screen applications, from organizing shopping to covering in the moment shopping needs. We allow customers to create, add to, and collaborate on shopping lists that can be used in any store and to instantly order whatever they need, by simply interacting with their Smart Devices such as Echo or Fire TV. Our products range from package tracking to shopping lists and instant ordering, and with these capabilities we seek to make advertising more actionable and useful to customers. The business is both focused on generating value for shoppers as well as advertisers.
· Use data science to understand the shopping behaviors and needs of Alexa customers who are less engaged in Amazon stores
· Hire and develop a nimble team of insurgents
· Identify marketing and product gaps between our current feature portfolio and the needs of this customer cohort
· Develop and experiment with product, feature and program ideas (e.g. write PRFAQs) and advocate for them at the highest levels of leadership in the organization
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
· Master’s degree in a highly quantitative field (Machine Learning, AI, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Operational Research, etc.), or equivalent professional or military experience working as a Data Scientist.
· Experienced in leading teams that utilize multiple data science methodologies to solve complex business problems (e.g. statistical analysis, research science, machine learning and deep learning techniques, data modeling, regression modeling, financial analysis, demand modeling, etc.).
· Ability to distill informal customer requirements into problem definitions, dealing with ambiguity and competing objectives.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively advocate technical, business and product solutions to research scientists, engineering teams and business audiences.
· A PhD degree in a highly quantitative field (Machine Learning, AI, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Operational Research, etc.), or equivalent professional or military experience working as a Data Scientist.
· Experience leading product and/or software development teams
· Extensive knowledge and practical experience in several of the following areas: machine learning, statistics, NLP, deep learning, recommendation systems, information retrieval. - Experience designing experiments and ability to infer causal relationships.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively advocate technical solutions to research scientists, engineering teams and business audiences
· Experience in e-commerce or consumer retail