We are developing advanced technologies that enhance the experience of shoppers in physical stores. Designed and custom-built by Amazon, existing products such as the Amazon Dash Cart and Amazon Go integrate a variety of advanced technologies including computer vision, sensor fusion, and advanced machine learning.
We are seeking talented people who want to join an ambitious research and development program that who will help us define the future of physical retail. As a Principle Applied Scientist, you will architect systems that involve addressing complex technical challenges while meeting stringent performance and robustness goals. You will mentor other engineers and ensure they are producing state-of-the-art solutions while also continuing to advance their knowledge and capabilities. You will play an active role in guiding the development of research infrastructure for real-time machine learning and you will play a key role in translating technology solutions into real-world systems in partnership with other product organizations.
You will tackle challenging situations every day and you’ll have the opportunity to work with multiple technical teams at Amazon. You should be comfortable with a high degree of ambiguity and have the communication skills necessary to articulate strategic approaches that both address immediate product needs and which set your team up for future success. Along the way, we guarantee that you’ll learn a lot, have fun, and make a positive impact on many customers
In this role:
• You will encounter challenging, open-ended technical problems to solve, with solutions that span the entire implementation stack from devices to real-time algorithms to cloud-based services.
• You will be able to demonstrate your strong technical and communication skills as well as your leadership abilities to deliver brand new customer experiences on behalf of Amazon.
• You must be curious in the face of ambiguity and able to develop prototypes and perform experiments to create robust, scalable, distributed and fault-tolerant features to enhance the experience of Amazon customers around the globe.
NOTE re: LOCATION: The main location for this job is the Washington DC metro region.
· PhD degree in Computer Vision, Machine Learning or a closely related field.
· 10+ years of professional experience in applied science and/or based research fields.
· 10+ years leading the development of systems using advanced Machine Learning and Computer Vision concepts.
· Demonstrated leadership experience
· Excellent communication skills
· Experience designing, developing and launching customer-facing products and services using real-time computer vision
· Experience adapting and optimizing machine learning models to adhere to stringent real-time computational requirements
· Experience developing systems that employ multiple sensors and which are able to effectively fuse information to reach decisions
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.