Alexa is the groundbreaking cloud-based intelligent agent that powers Echo and other devices designed around your voice. The Alexa Economics team is looking for a Research Scientist to join us to support measurement of the Alexa business and to provide actionable insights across the Alexa ecosystem.
A day in the life
As a Research Scientist you will partner with other scientists to build algorithms and have exposure to senior leadership as we communicate results and provide guidance to the business. You will work with product managers, SDEs, financial analysts, data scientists, and economists to better understand the features customers love and how to optimize customer discovery of these features. You will analyze large amount of business data, build research agenda, and identify key metrics we will use to track customer engagement across a wide range of touch points with Alexa. You will also help the broader team identify new features and business opportunities through your research.
A successful candidate will be able to partner effectively with both business and technical teams, including clear communication of results across a variety of stakeholders. He/she will be an expert in statistics and machine learning. This high-impact role provides a great opportunity to demonstrate capabilities to dive deep, deliver results, think big, invent and simplify, and earn trust.
About the hiring group
Our team is identifying the key drivers for engaging customers on the Alexa platform across devices, skills and services. As a part of the larger Alexa Customer Experience team, your area of influence and impact will be all of the Alexa organization across the globe. You will have a front row seat to the evolving voice assistant industry and opportunities to impact the customer experience of a cutting edge product used every day by people you know.
As a member of the Alexa Econ team, you will have following technical and leadership responsibilities:
· Interact with engineering, scientists, and business teams to develop new algorithms to measure impact of Alexa experiences;
· Understand and mine the large amount of Alexa data, prototype and implement new learning algorithms and prediction techniques to improve model accuracy;
· Contribute to progress of the Alexa and broader research communities by producing publications
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
· PhD or equivalent Master's degree plus 4+ years of research experience in a quantitative field
· Experience investigating the feasibility of applying scientific principals and concepts to business problems and products
· M.Sc. degree in Statistics, Economics, Machine Learning, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field and three years of research or work experience in the job offered or a related occupation as equivalent to the PhD and one year of experience.
· 1+ years of hands-on experience in programming languages such as SQL or Python
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills with technical and business teams; ability to speak at a level appropriate for the audience. The ideal candidate can present business cases and document the models and analysis and present the results in order to influence important decisions
· Ph.D. in Statistics or Economics or a closely related field
· Familiarity with causal inference, Bayesian inference, experimentation, and Machine Learning
· Experience with data engineering and/or methods used in Big Data analytics
· Expertise in prototyping with applications of efficient large-scale data analysis in a complicated system