On the Fulfillment AI Team we work on a variety of problems within our Amazon Fulfillment Centers. We operate at a nexus of machine learning, computer vision, robotics, and healthy measure of hard-earned expertise in operations to build automated, algorithmic approaches to solving these problems. We create cutting edge software, building automated processes and workflows in the most complex operational problem space in the business world. Our solutions drive new system capabilities with global impact.
Major responsibilities: As a Computer Vision Applied Scientist, you will be working in one of the world's largest and most complex environments for computer vision applications. You should have deep expertise in harnessing massive data sets from sensors operating "in the wild". You should be an expert at designing and implementing solutions that use a range of techniques and methodologies to solve complex business problems at scale. You will design prototype models based on data gathered directly from operational sites and partner with software engineering teams to deploy those models to production. You will deep dive ML training data and feature sets to drive improvements. You will partner with Research and Applied Scientists, SDEs, Technical Program Managers, Product Managers, and business leaders to identify solutions to large problems in Amazon Operations.
Your solutions will drive new system capabilities with global impact. You will design highly scalable, large enterprise software solutions involving computer vision. You will developing complex perception algorithms integrating across multiple sensing devices. You will develop metrics to quantify the benefits of a solution and influence project resources. You will validate system performance and use insights from your live models to drive the next generation of model development.
The ideal candidate will have deep and broad experience with theoretical approaches and practical implementations of vision techniques for task automation. They will be a motivated self-starter who can thrive in a fast paced environment. They will be passionate about staying current with sensing technologies and algorithms in the broader machine vision industry. They will enjoy working in a multidisciplinary team of engineers, scientists and business leaders. They will seek to understand processes behind data so their recommendations are grounded.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at Amazon, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have 12 affinity groups (employee resource groups) with more than 87,000 employees across hundreds of chapters around the world. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which reminds team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
It isn’t about which hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We offer flexibility and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
We care about your career growth too. Whether your goals are to explore new technologies, take on bigger opportunities, or get to the next level, we'll help you get there. Our business is growing fast and our people will grow with it.
· PhD or equivalent Master's Degree plus 4+ years of experience in CS, CE, ML or related field
· 2+ years of experience of building machine learning models for business application
· Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
· 2+ years of industry or academic applied research experience applying computer vision techniques and developing algorithms.
· Ability to work on a diverse team or with a diverse range of coworkers.
· PhD and 4+ years of industry or academic applied research experience applying Computer Vision techniques and developing Computer vision algorithms.
· Depth and breadth in state-of-the-art computer vision and machine learning technologies and experience designing and building computer vision solutions.
· Industry experience in sensor systems and the development of production computer vision and machine learning applications built to use them.
· Experience developing software interfacing to AWS services.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
· Strong record of patents and innovation or publications in top-tier peer-reviewed conferences or journals
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success and we make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.