Alexa is the groundbreaking cloud-based intelligent agent that powers Echo and other devices designed around your voice. Our mission is to push the envelope in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Natural Language Understanding (NLU), Machine Learning (ML), Dialog Management, Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR), and Audio Signal Processing, in order to provide the best-possible experience for our customers.
We’re looking for a Director of Applied Science to help build industry-leading conversational systems and ML technologies that customers love. You will partner with world-class technical leaders, engineers, scientists and data analysts across the organization, who have expertise in a wide range of disciplines.
As a Director of Applied Science for the Alexa AI team, you will be responsible for leading multiple engineering, science, program management teams and drive the design, development, testing, and deployment of scalable conversational understanding services, tools and platform targeting first and third party developers. The effort will push the boundaries of machine intelligence combining cutting-edge AI and ML techniques to make building and management of conversational scenarios substantially simpler. If you're as passionate as we are about making Alexa and Echo increasingly awesome for our customers all around the world, we'd love to chat with you! We're seeking highly talented, driven and motivated technical leaders with big ideas, who are also obsessed with finding new, intuitive, and engaging ways to interact with our customers.
You will build and manage the roadmap for future product development in the area, including new services, new features for existing services, operational improvements for existing services, and language and country expansion. In this role, you will have a chance to interact with all internal Alexa teams, third party skill developers, large Alexa customers and enterprises, and use their feedback to drive innovation. You’ll hire talented engineers, scientists, technical program managers and bring them together as a team to innovate and deliver. You’ll help set – and will be expected to deliver on – aggressive goals for adoption, operational performance, and feature delivery.
You must have an established background in delivering customer-facing solutions, strong technical skills, excellent project management skills, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast paced environment. You are a strong leader who can prioritize well, communicate clearly and compellingly and who understands how to drive a high level of focus and excellence within a team.
Responsibilities include direct management of engineering and science managers and senior engineers and scientists, strategic planning, product definition, customer communication, project management for software within the team, and quality of software development process for machine learning systems. Additionally, as our organization is growing, hiring top-notch managers, engineers and scientist will be a key focus.
· Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field
· 10+ years of experience in software development and building production software systems
· At least 7 years of experience managing science, software development teams, and managers
· Must be skilled in Computer Science fundamentals such as object-oriented design, algorithm design, data structures, problem solving, and complexity analysis
· Experience building customer and developer facing products and services
· Knowledge of professional software engineering practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
· Knowledge and experience with delivering enterprise software and/or services
· Knowledge and experience with web-scale services and distributed systems
· Excellent written and verbal technical communication with an ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
· Experience in building complex, real-time systems involving AI, ML, Search Systems, Ads, NLU, and dialog algorithms that have been successfully delivered to customers
· Strong project management experience desired for working on cross-functional projects
· Demonstrated track record of project delivery for large, cross-functional projects with evolving requirements
· Graduate degree in Computer science/Math or related field
· Demonstrated ability to lead and mentor other Senior Managers and software developers and scientists to maintain architectural vision and software quality while building and maintaining high agility, high morale and low to zero process teams
· Ability to take a project from requirements gathering and design to actual product launch
· Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with minimal process and maximum productivity
· Experience developing cloud software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability
· Proven track record of building and managing high performing engineering teams.
· Exceptional customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions
· Most of all: enthusiasm, creativity, and inventiveness! You will be asked to find new ways to solve challenging problems every day
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation