AbeBooks, an Amazon company, connects millions of buyers with sellers from around the world. We provide a marketplace for hundreds of millions of items that includes everything from exquisite manuscripts and long-lost books from your childhood, to postcards from Mohandas Gandhi and signed first editions of “A Farewell to Arms”.
About the Role
AbeBooks is looking for a seasoned technology leader to join our executive team as Chief Technology Officer (CTO). This is a unique opportunity define and to lead the technical strategy for a successful and growing complete business, while leveraging everything the broader Amazon organization has to offer.
As a single threaded technology leader for at all technical teams at AbeBooks you will collaborate across functions such as Product Management, Marketing, and Operations to help realize the vision of making AbeBooks the world’s preferred site for buying and selling used and collectible books.
Setting the technical agenda for the organization, and leveraging investments made over the past few years while creating new solutions is key; however it is not the only aspect that will determine your success in this role. Beyond the technical vision, you will double down on building a high performing, motivated, and an engaged leadership team who will be instrumental for the success of the technology organization at AbeBooks.
To be successful in this role you must:
· Have experience as a technology leader with a proven track record of leading teams to create customer centric experiences
· Have experience setting strategy and building alignment across multiple teams and stakeholders
· Have a strategic mindset and desire to dive deep and solve business challenges within your immediate scope and beyond it
· Have a track record of building high performing, motivated, and engaged teams
· Be able to define and refine mechanisms and processes that scale across multiple teams, drive execution and operational excellence
· Be comfortable diving deep with tech leaders to define and prioritize technology concerns: scaling, performance, security, and operations
· Work collaboratively with business and tech leaders across the organization
· Develop and champion AbeBook’s technology strategy, and own the technology vision across all functions of the organization
· Contribute to the long term vision along side the GM, and the executive team
· Build a highly performing, engaged, equitable, inclusive and diverse technology leadership team
· Be a leader and mentor
· Advocate high engagement, and recognition culture across the technology organization
· Drive software delivery and operational excellence across the full product lifecycle
· Define and lead critical programs like data analytics, security, and privacy
· Align roadmaps and guide delivery across multiple engineering teams and business partners
AbeBooks provides competitive salaries and great benefits. What really makes us stand out is the world-class team of people that you get to work with every day. We trust our employees because we only hire the best. We want people who are prepared to challenge the status quo and always raise the bar.
AbeBooks is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. AbeBooks is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
We appreciate your interest in AbeBooks!
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent combination of technical education and work experience
· 10+ years of Software Development experience
· 5+ years of experience as a development manager building and leading strong engineering teams
· Deep hands-on technical expertise in software design and development
· Experience defining and refining team Agile software development processes
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Experience managing managers
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information to a variety of audiences
· Experience designing software architectures for scalability, reliability and operational excellence
· Experience managing production software systems at scale
· A passion for the development of people and teams
· First hand and managerial experience with software engineering best practices including SCM, build environments, code reviews, test automation, and operations
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us