The Sponsored Products team is looking for a Sr. Economist to lead initiatives that put cutting edge economic and data science advertising research into production. We are looking for a unique individual who is interested in bigger picture strategic thinking but with a passion for big data. You will work with scientists and engineers to develop models of consumer and advertiser behavior.
Our goal is to serve each customer the right ads at the right time based on each ads’ marginal impact. This helps customers decide what to buy while helping advertisers put their products in front of the right customers, aligning customers’, advertisers’, and Amazon’s interests. To do this, you’ll leverage a broad range of Machine Learning, Causal Inference, and Econometric techniques to continuously explore, learn, and optimize the allocation, ranking, and pricing of ads across Amazon. We are an interdisciplinary team of Scientists, Engineers, and Economists incubating and building day one solutions using cutting-edge technology to solve some of the toughest business problems at Amazon.
Sponsored Products delivers billions of ad impressions daily, a personalized customer experience, and are breaking fresh ground to create world-class products. We are an interdisciplinary team of Scientists, Engineers, and Economists incubating and building day one solutions using cutting-edge technology to solve some of the toughest business problems at Amazon. You will derive actionable insights about the interaction between ads and Amazon’s retail business and partner with scientists and engineers to implement scalable ML, RL, and econometric models that deliver a better shopping experience for customers.
As a Sr. Economist, you bring business and industry context to science and technology decisions. You will build econometric models, using our world class data systems, and apply economic theory to solve business problems in a fast moving environment. You will be expected to develop new techniques to process large data sets, address quantitative problems, and contribute to design of automated systems. You set the standard for scientific excellence and make decisions that affect the way we build and integrate algorithms. Your solutions are exemplary in terms of algorithm design, clarity, model structure, efficiency, and extensibility. You tackle intrinsically hard problems, acquiring expertise as needed. You decompose complex problems into straightforward solutions.
Why you will love this opportunity: Amazon is investing heavily in building a world-class advertising business. This team defines and delivers a collection of advertising products that drive discovery and sales. Our solutions generate billions in revenue and drive long-term growth for Amazon’s Retail and Marketplace businesses. We deliver billions of ad impressions, millions of clicks daily, and break fresh ground to create world-class products. We are a highly motivated, collaborative, and fun-loving team with an entrepreneurial spirit - with a broad mandate to experiment and innovate.
Impact and Career Growth: You will invent new experiences and influence customer-facing shopping experiences to help suppliers grow their retail business and the auction dynamics that leverage native advertising; this is an opportunity to work within the fastest-growing businesses across all of Amazon! Define a long-term vision for our advertising business, driven from our customers' needs, and translate that into specific economic and science initiatives. This role combines economic insights, science leadership, product focus, and business understanding.
Team video https://youtu.be/zD_6Lzw8raE
· PhD in Economics, Statistics, or highly related finance field
· 3+ years of relevant research science experience after PhD degree or equivalent
· 5+ years of relevant research science experience after PhD degree or equivalent
· 2+ years of industry experience in building causal models.
· Fluency in data analysis languages (R, Python, SQL, Spark etc.)
· Experience with large data sets, big data, and analytics.
· Expertise in prototyping with applications of efficient large-scale data analysis in a complicated system.
· Published research work in academic conferences or industry circles.
· Experience in building machine learning models
· Effective verbal and written communication skills with non-technical and technical audiences.
· Experience working with large real-world data sets and building scalable models from big data.
· Thinks strategically, but stays on top of tactical execution.
· Exhibits excellent business judgment; balances business, product, and technology very well.
· Experience in computational advertising.
· Experience with big data and machine learning or data science
· Coding ability in a scripting language such as python or R
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us