Want to participate in building Amazon's presence in a Middle East and North Africa?
We are seeking talented software engineers to join one of the fastest growing regions for Amazon's. We offer competitive salary and benefits, outstanding career and growth opportunities and an exciting and team-oriented atmosphere.
We are operating in a region which is unique with its young population, mobile adoption, and Arabic first nature. We are launching new Amazon marketplaces, and as we do that, we identify and respond to the local customer needs and build solutions which are suitable for our region. The work involves adapting existing Amazon systems and solutions to local needs such as Arabic and Mobile, and also build regional solution which can be exported to other Amazon locales. The region is diverse comprising of developed and developing economies, with varying maturity of online infrastructure. Our solutions need to understand and cater to these differences.
As a Principal Engineer you will be expected to:
- Serve as a technical lead on our most demanding, cross-functional projects.
- Ensure the quality of architecture and design of systems.
- Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions.
- Fully and completely understand system interdependencies and limitations.
- Possess expert knowledge in performance, scalability, enterprise system architecture, and engineering best practices.
- Leverage knowledge of internal and industry prior art in design decisions.
- Effectively research and benchmark Amazon technology against other competing systems in the industry.
- Contribute intellectual property through patents.
- Assist in the career development of others, actively mentoring individuals and the community on advanced technical issues and helping managers guide the career growth of their team members.
- Exert technical influence over multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience.
- Navigate with other teams in Amazon and influence their design and roadmap decisions for the benefit of our region.
- Collaborate with the business teams to identify opportunities and innovate on behalf of our customers.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.
- Bachelor's degree and/or Master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- 10+years of software engineering experience, including Java and/or C++.
- 10+ years of experience leading large-scale projects.
- 10+ years of knowledge of emerging platforms, Java, operating system principles, and programming best practices.
- 10+ years of experience in networking, multi-threaded applications, interprocess communication, and complex software development
- Experience in building high-performance, highly-available and scalable distributed systems.
- Experience with databases
- 2+ years of hands-on experience as a Principal-level Software Development Engineer.
- 2+ years of experience mentoring junior engineers to success.
- Ability and willingness to multi-task and learn new technologies quickly.