The Human Resources Central Science Team (HRCS) uses economics, behavioral science, statistics, and machine learning to proactively identify mechanisms and process improvements which simultaneously improve Amazon and the lives and wellbeing of, and the value of work to Amazonians. We are an interdisciplinary team which combines the talents of science and engineering to develop and deliver solutions that measurably achieve this goal.
We are looking for an experienced Principal Economist who is customer obsessed, and thrives in a fast-paced environment that requires strong technical research skills, public policy expertise, as well as solid business judgment, communication, and project management skills. Our team is interdisciplinary and our projects cover a range of the areas of expertise in social science and statistics. The ideal candidate will coordinate scientists, engineers, and internal and external business teams, to translated business challenges into science questions and solutions which can be productionized into real-world improvements. She or he will provide visibility on projects and successes to the senior leaders of the company with strong written and oral communication skills. This role will suit self-driven individuals who can organize themselves and the team quickly, provide scientific vision and strategy, and seamlessly work with economists, applied scientists, software and data engineers, managers, Amazon Scholars, and Amazon senior leadership. We need individuals with demonstrated ability to learn quickly, think big, execute both strategically and tactically, and motivate and mentor their team to deliver value through science to Amazon and Amazonians. Ideal candidates are strong project managers, have creative mindsets, and are always excited to take on new and ambiguous projects, and have an eye for technical detail and seamless coordination across technical and business contributors. No task is too small for them.
· PhD in and broad research experience in economics, statistics, machine learning or data science, or computer science.
· 10+ years of experience post-doc in research/science management (from concept to delivery to maturity)
· Expertise in applied microeconomics
· Experience building scientific projects, project management plans, and release schedules to take science into production.
· Experience working within an interdisciplinary team consisting of scientists and engineers.
· Strong organizational skills with demonstrated ability to manage multiple high-complexity projects with competing priorities and diverse team members. Demonstrated skills in working with business or public policy partners and conducting customer research.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to influence others internally and externally.
· Entrepreneurial mindset with a track record for delivering results.
· Experience delivering results at the executive level.