Amazon’s Pricing Research team is seeking a principal economist to help envision, design and build the next generation of pricing capabilities behind Amazon’s global marketplaces.
The pricing research group is a team of economists, ML scientists and data engineers who design and implement the analytics powering pricing for Amazon’s on-line retail business. The team uses world-class analytics to make sure that the prices for all of Amazon’s goods and services are aligned with Amazon’s corporate goals. Our projects are at the intersection of economic theory, statistical inference, machine learning, and optimization theory. We tackle important and, often, ambiguous research questions with direct impact in Amazon pricing strategies. Our team members have the opportunity to present their research and proposals to the senior executive leaders, usually cross organizations.
A day in the life
They will lead the brainstorming sessions with our stakeholders as well as other senior scientists and engineers. They will deep dive in the data and design and propose strategic advancements in our pricing models and systems. They will actively participate in the science community through reviewing other economists’ research as well as presenting their own research at the internal and external conferences. They will mentor other economists and participate in hiring the right talents for the company.
About the hiring group
We are seeking a high-energy individual that is passionate to work with our unprecedented retail data to bring cutting edge research into real world applications and make major impact in our business. This position is perfect for someone who has a deep and broad analytic background and is passionate about using economic theory, mathematical modeling and statistical analysis to make a real difference. Experience in applied econometrics, experimentation design, applied analytics, and statistical analysis is essential. They should be familiar with modern tools for ML, data science and business analysis. We are particularly interested in candidates with research background in applied microeconomics, econometrics, statistical inference, and/or finance.
The Principal Economist will partner with business leadership and our scientists and engineers to develop long term strategic solutions, and build the right metrics and statistical tests to examine their efficacy. They will represent and advocate these strategies to the senior executive leaders in our organization and other partner organizations such as Amazon Central Economists team (Core AI), Supply Chain Optimization Technologies (SCOT) and Amazon Transportation Systems (ATS). They will interact with Amazon scholars and external research institutions to ensure that our team and our senior executives are up to speed on important trends, tools and technologies and how they can be used to impact the business.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
· PhD in Economics, Statistics, Finance or other quantitative fields.
· 8 years + of experience in analytics.
· Strong track record in performing high-quality analysis of big data
· Track record of driving change based on persuasive communication of insights and opportunities based on analysis.
· Experience incubating new technology working closely with research scientists, software developers and product managers from conception to implementation.
· Written and verbal communications skills to convey complicated process and systems to business partners and senior leadership.
· Applicants with considerably more experience (10+ years), including mid-career, are strongly encouraged.
· Proficiency in R, Python and/or Spark.
· Experience in pricing-related analytics.
· Strong publication and presentation record in top-tier economic, statistical, or ML publications and conferences