Amazon Go is a new kind of store with no lines and no checkout! Customers simply use the Amazon Go app to enter the store, take what they want from our selection of fresh, delicious meals and grocery essentials, and go!
Our checkout-free shopping experience is made possible by our Just Walk Out Technology, which automatically detects when products are taken from or returned to the shelves and keeps track of them in a virtual cart. When you’re done shopping, you can just leave the store. Shortly after, we’ll charge your Amazon account and send you a receipt. Check it out at amazon.com/go. Designed and custom-built by Amazonians, our Just Walk Out Technology uses a variety of technologies including computer vision, sensor fusion, and advanced machine learning. Innovation is part of our DNA! Our goal is to be Earth’s most customer centric company and we are just getting started. We need people who want to join an ambitious program that continues to push the state of the art in computer vision, machine learning, distributed systems and hardware design.
The role: As a Software Development Manager in the Physical Stores Tech organization, your work will require you to solve challenging problems at global scale and develop new functionalities across a broad swath of Amazon services and businesses. You'll build a new team from scratch, and own a clear well-defined charter. You’ll have the opportunity to dive deep into the technologies powering Amazon’s physical store programs and adapt creative solutions to new problems. You should be comfortable building prototypes and challenging assumptions, while also developing for fault tolerance and scale.
As a manager, you will be responsible for leading the development and launch of core product features. You will have significant influence on our overall strategy by helping define these product features, system design, and best practices.
You will tackle challenging situations every day and you’ll have the opportunity to work with multiple technical teams at Amazon. You should be comfortable with a degree of ambiguity that’s higher than most projects and relish the idea of solving problems. Along the way, we guarantee that you’ll learn a ton, have fun and make a positive impact on many customers.
Other responsibilities include:
* Leading development and maintenance of key system features
* Working with other team members to investigate design approaches
* Prototyping designs and testing them with teammates
* Working in an Agile/Scrum environment to deliver high quality software against aggressive schedules
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
· BS in Computer Science or related technical field
· 7+ years of relevant engineering experience
· 3+ years experience managing software development teams
· Minimum of 3-5 years of software development, and a similar amount in software management experience.
· Experience managing and developing direct reports (performance review communication, accountability, motivation/engagement)
· Master's degree in Computer Science
· Experience working in start-up mode building products and services from the ground up.
· Experience with AWS cloud services
· Experience building Machine Learning based systems/services
· Evidence of working with existing systems; curious and able to learn new codebases
· Able to deliver results in a cross-functional team, making high-quality contributions to other systems and libraries
· Experience creating extensible, well-abstracted designs and driving consensus with other engineers
· Excellence in technical communication with peers and non-technical cohorts
· Proficient in at least one of: Java, C++, C# or other statically compiled language
· Experience with one or more scripting languages: Ruby, Python, etc.
· 8+ years experience as a key member of an engineering team participating in the complete product development lifecycle of successfully launched applications.