The Amazon Affiliate Marketing (Amazon Associates) Science team seeks a Senior Economist to help build Associate pricing models worldwide.
The Amazon Associates program is a global leader in online marketing and one of the largest paid advertising channels for Amazon. Our program spans a large number of websites, blogs and influencers worldwide, all of whom create original content to help customers make informed purchasing decisions on Amazon. Our team develops tools for associates to create compelling content on their sites, provides insights on their site’s performance, establishes program policies and prices, provides recommendations to associates to enhance their audience engagement, and runs all the back-end services required to make the program run smoothly: onboarding, payments, and fraud detection and prevention. Several characteristics make Amazon Associates an exciting and rewarding place to grow your career:
· We own our space end-to-end, and have a wealth of opportunities for innovation: We run one of the largest affiliate marketing programs in the world, and we own the business end to end while leveraging the technology and scientific wealth of Amazon. This gives us the opportunity to think big, try new things, and pave the way for the industry as a whole.
· We serve a diverse population of content creators, and that’s a motivating challenge: We serve all associates, from a small blogger with 50 readers, through TikTok influencers with over 5,000 followers, and all the way to some of the largest publishers in the world. Each of these and specific business challenges and opportunities, and we partner with them to reach millions of customers worldwide. We cover everything from B2B to B2C.
· We (literally) have to keep up with the Kardashians: As we strive to meet our customers wherever they spend their digital time, we’re at the forefront of what’s “new” and “cool” on the internet, and that makes our challenges complex and exciting.
· We have the resources of a big company and the drive of a startup: We have an entrepreneurial culture and can quickly build new things but also invest in scalable and beautiful solutions.
· We can add value for our customers: We have the ability to help facilitate customer shopping decisions for millions of products and services, and we always keep this mission front of mind.
As Senior Economist in the Amazon Associates Science team, you will strive to understand, through both experiments and observational data, how the way in which we structure what we pay Associates affects their behavior and ultimately the size and relevance of the traffic they drive to Amazon over both the short and long term. You will build causal models based on data from heterogeneous associates and Amazon customers, and simulate pricing changes to identify the policy that incentivizes associates to provide the most meaningful content to Amazon customers. You will work closely with other scientists, developers, product managers, and business development managers.
The ideal candidate will be a creative thinker who combines strong technical skills with a practical mindset, a thirst to build, and a desire to learn from others. The candidate will be comfortable leading research in unexplored areas and communicating their findings with senior leadership; they will enjoy dealing with ambiguous problems and working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment; and they will be passionate about supporting the scientific exploration of the broader science team.
Key responsibilities of this role include the following:
· Build the scientific backbone of pricing models for Amazon Associates worldwide
· Build models and mechanisms to determine the timing, duration, and magnitude of price adjustments required to achieve Amazon Associate traffic growth and efficiency objectives
· Identify opportunities/experiments that will yield insights about how prices influence Associates’ behavior, with the end goal of driving growth
· Conduct all phases of research projects, including defining key research questions, recommending measures, working with multiple data sources, evaluating methodology and design, executing analysis plans, and interpreting and communicating results
· Provide technical leadership to a diverse group of scientists and data experts
· Contribute to the product strategy of the Amazon Associates organization
· PhD in Economics, or highly related field, such as Statistics or Computational Finance
· Experience in industry, consulting, government, or academic research
· Hands-on experience in microeconometrics, evidenced through publications or real-world projects
· Understanding of current techniques for causal inference as founded in the potential-outcomes framework
· Research track record
· Interpersonal and communication skills, along with ability to explain complex technical concepts and analysis implications clearly across different audiences and varying levels of the organization
· Coding ability in a scripting language such as R or Python or STATA
· Experience in auctions is a plus
· Demonstrated ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple competing priorities
· Demonstrated track record of cultivating strong working relationships and driving collaboration across multiple technical teams
· Ability to think innovatively and creatively about ambiguous technical and business problems
· Effective verbal and written communications skills
· Keen business judgment and strategic thinking
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation