Fresh is an important and rapidly growing part of Amazon’s future, providing home delivery service on a broad selection of grocery items including fresh produce, locally sourced meat and seafood, dry goods, and specialty and prepared food. Our rapidly growing organization produces innovative and delightful customer experiences for Fresh/Prime Now across mobile, tablet and desktop products.
As a Sr. Economist you will solve machine learning problems around image processing, feature detection and natural language processing. You will work with a creative and multi-disciplinary team of engineers, designers, writers, and marketing experts to build models that help us automatically generate design and marketing content across the entire Amazon grocery offering. The impact of your work will be global, material, and remarkable. Your work will remove cost, deliver speed of execution and delight our customers at scale. Your contributions will be seen and recognized broadly within the Amazon Retail organization, contributing to the Amazon research corpus and patent portfolio.
Detailed responsibilities include but not limited to:
· Build ML models that contribute to the enhancement of our image processing algorithms
· Use applied statistics to drive autonomous creation of design assets and marketing material
· Harness natural language processing to audit and improve customer messaging
· Collaborate with our software team to create scalable production implementations for large-scale rendering pipeline.
· Provide clear, compelling analysis that shapes the direction of our business.
· Ph.D. in Operations Research, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science or a related field with publications in refereed academic journals.
· Experience designing and implementing forecasting models
· Good communication skills with both technical and business people. Ability to speak at a level appropriate for the audience. Experience applying these skills in both academic teaching environment and a business setting is a plus.
· The ability to implement models and tools through the use of high-level modeling languages (e.g. AMPL, Mosel, R, Matlab).
· MS in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Operational Research, Statistics or a related quantitative field.
· Strong CS fundamentals in data structures, problem solving, algorithm design and complexity analysis.
· Superior verbal and written communication and presentation skills, ability to convey rigorous mathematical concepts and considerations to non-experts.
· Strong personal interest in learning, researching, and creating new technologies with high commercial impact
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us