Who are we?
Are you interested in creating the future of e-com shipping? Do you want to be a part of team building the next $1bn initiative? Our team is changing the way we interact with customers around the globe and building a new, emerging business in shipping to solve some of the biggest logistical opportunities facing not just Amazon, but the entire industry.
What will you do?
Amazon Shipping is investing heavily in an imbedded science team that works closely with senior business leaders to drive strategic insight and change. This economist role will own our time series forecast models, which range in horizon from T+16 hours to T+26 weeks globally. In addition, this role will be responsible for working alongside your dedicated product manager and software engineers to educate and scale your models in production environments. This is a great opportunity to join an entrepreneurial business that is growing at an incredible pace.
The ideal candidate is analytical, resourceful, and enjoys making sense of ambiguity. They are highly autonomous and have a proven track record of taking on end-to-end ownership and successfully delivering results in a fast-paced and dynamic business environment.
The role’s key responsibilities will include:
· Analyzing our various forecast models (which range from naive moving averages to long short term memory neural nets) and existing data to prioritize a roadmap of builds
· Deep dive into historical impact of forecast accuracy across all 7 use cases to determine the lowest hanging fruit to tackle
· Work with your dedicated product manager to drive vision for time series modeling across all of our geographies and businesses
· Rolling up your sleeves to work with our senior scientists to help in analyses across all of our functions, including pricing, costing, optimization, and forecasting.
PhD in Economics, Quantitative Marketing, Finance, or closely related fie
· Applicants with considerably more experience, including mid-career, are also strongly encouraged.
· Knowledge of Python or similar common scripting language preferred.
· Ability to work with SQL to access data as needed.
· Strong background in statistics methodology, applications to business problems, and/or big data.
· Ability to work in a fast-paced business environment.
· Strong research track record.
· Effective verbal and written communications skills.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us