We are seeking a Data Scientist to be part of the Spoken Language Understanding science team for Alexa Skills Kit. This role will work as part of our International Data team to deliver our technical strategy in developing and deploying machine learning solutions to our hardest customer-facing problems. Your work with directly impact the developer experience in building skills, as well as the customer experience when interacting with them.
Key job responsibilities
· Ensure data quality throughout all stages of acquisition and processing, including data sourcing/collection, ground truth generation, normalization, transformation, cross-language alignment/mapping, etc.
· Clean, analyze and select data to drive improvements related to high-level business goals
· Build and release models that elevate the customer experience and track impact over time
· Apply broad range of statistical methods to find optimal solution for business problems
· Build tools/user interfaces for data science product for both technical and non-technical users
· Collaborate with colleagues from linguistics, science, engineering, and business backgrounds
· Present proposals and results in a clear manner backed by data and coupled with actionable conclusions
· Work with data engineer to develop efficient data querying infrastructure for both offline and online use cases
A day in the life
This role requires working closely with Language Data Researcher, Language Engineers, Solutions Architects, and Product/Program Managers, to drive analysis and performance improvements for our speech and language technology. A successful candidate will be a self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity, with strong attention to detail, ability to work in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment, self-driven, constantly seeking new ideas to improvement performance, independent and good at project/time management.
About the team
Our team is made up of Language Data Researchers, Data Scientists, Language Engineers, BIE, Team Managers, Program/Product Managers, and Data Specialists, with the goal of understanding and improving the Spoken Language Understanding (SLU) experience for ASK users and developers.
· Masters with two years of experience or a Bachelors with five years of experience in Statistics, Applied Math, Operations Research, Economics, or related quantitative field.
· Experience applying various machine learning techniques, and understanding the key parameters that affect their performance
· Proficient in Python and shell scripting
· Experience with SQL
· Experience developing experimental and analytic plans for data modeling processes, using strong baselines, and determining cause and effect relations
· Experience using relevant statistical measures such as confidence intervals, significance of error measurements, development and evaluation data sets, etc. in large-scale data analysis projects
· Basic knowledge of AWS services
· PhD in Statistics, Applied Math, Operations Research, Economics, or related quantitative field.
· Previous experience in a ML or data scientist role with a large technology company
· Able to write SQL scripts for analysis and reporting
· Experience with AWS technology, such as Redshift, S3, SageMaker, Athena, glue, kinesis
· Experience with TABLEAU/R Shiny/Dash/Plotly/Kibana or other web based interfaces to create graphic-rich customizable plots, charts data maps etc
· Experience in one or more natural language processing topics: tagging, syntactic parsing, word sense disambiguation, topic modeling; contextual text mining, and application of deep learning to NLP
· Experience with language data research or fluency in a language other than English
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.