As a Senior Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Design Engineer you will work with multiple design disciplines, network engineering teams, technical launch engineering and management, and operations teams to bridge gaps, and support design and deployment of ICT infrastructure in Amazon Physical Stores. Amazon Stores are the first grocery stores to offer Just Walk Out (JWO) Technology. These are stores with advanced shopping technology so you never have to wait in line. Our checkout-free shopping experience is made possible by our JWO Technology, which automatically detects when products are taken from, or returned to the shelves, and keeps track of them in a virtual cart. When you’re done shopping, you can just leave the store. Shortly after, we’ll charge your Amazon account and send you a receipt.
The position requires strong working knowledge in a wide variety of building types and systems (both the design of such systems and also installation and maintenance). Candidates must be capable of making creative design recommendations and must have the ability to articulate design justification to different groups within the organization. This position will be part of an exciting, fast-moving ambiguous business unit, where everyone on the team needs to be entrepreneurial, wear many hats and work effectively in a highly collaborative environment.
As a member of this team, you will work directly with engineers and managers across the globe to develop connectivity solutions for the physical layer. You will work with multiple teams to design and plan ICT network infrastructure to include space, pathway, power, cooling, wireless and cabling design specifications for construction and permitting. You will work with industry suppliers and manufacturers to develop product requirements and recommend new technologies. You will work with and manage third party ICT design consultants and Low Voltage Contractors (LVC)
You are the right person for this job if you have a strong end user focus and a passion for producing high-quality work. You must be a self-starter, creative, and a critical thinker with an intense curiosity and drive for learning. You must demonstrate the ability to efficiently plan and prioritize all deliverables and resources across multiple projects and working groups spanning design and technology. This position requires you to manage stakeholder expectations, schedules, budgets, assets and scopes—because organization and attention to detail are in your DNA. You will work closely with internal teams and external partners. You will make decisions and find solutions quickly and with confidence, and not expect someone else to show you the right way forward. You are the right person for this position if you take ownership of your work, display a great deal of initiative, possess common sense, sound judgment, and a sense of humor.
As an ICT Design Engineer you will:
· Collaborate with Civil Structural Architectural (CSA) and MEP Store designers, Network Engineers, Construction Managers, Procurement teams and Project Managers to coordinate design and deployment of IoT devices and ICT infrastructure to include power, cooling, space, pathways, cabinets, racks, and network equipment
· Review, approve and stamp ICT product data submittals with RCDD, P.E. or other ICT industry certified Stamp
· Develop, establish and revise ICT BODs, SOPs, and Construction Specifications
· Work with BIM teams to create, edit, and revise design drawing details and templates
· Attend design meetings, and review, comment and approve ICT design drawings and specifications using Bluebeam or other PDF software
· Develop heat maps and predictive planning models for design and deployment of Wireless Access Point (AP) networks
· Analyze, optimize, troubleshoot and improve Wi-Fi network designs
· Write 1 pager and 6 pager technical documents with analytical cost data and present to executive leadership to propose changes in ICT designs
· Work with procurement teams, product manufacturers and distributors to develop maintain and manage Global ICT Product equipment lists, pricing and lead times
· Develop and provide RFP, SOW and Bid Templates to ICT design consultants and LVC. Review, analyze, level and compare bids
· Manage ICT design consultants and LVC Contractors holding them accountable for on time, high quality deliverables
· Identify and respond to risks and high-priority issues rapidly and effectively.
· Support new technology development and design activities that improve infrastructure quality, reduce cost, and installation time.
· Travel 25+% to review projects, coordinate with onsite personnel and contractors and perform wireless surveys at Amazon Stores.
· Have fun and offer creative out of the box solutions.
This is an opportunity to leverage and grow your existing experience in an innovative and highly collaborative environment where the results of your work will directly impact Amazon and its customers.
· BICSI RCDD Certification or internationally recognized equivalent (e.g. CDCDP, DCDC, CNIDP, PE etc.)
· 8+ years Information and Communications Technology (ICT) design experience in America and Europe
· 8+ years of working experience with fiber optic components, cabling, and interconnect products, technologies, and standards in America and Europe
· 8+ years of experience developing design documentation in America and Europe (plans, specifications, etc.) for construction and/or permitting
· 3+ years experience using Ekahau to develop and plan predictive AP placement
· Certified Network Infrastructure Design Professional (CNIDP)
· Ekahau Certified Survey Engineer (ECSE) certification
· 5+ Years experience in Revit, Auto-CAD, Bluebeam or other Computer Aided Design Tools
· 5+ Years experience in carrying new design concepts from exploration, concept, development, through deployment/construction
· Ability and willingness to think outside of the box to find creative and innovative solutions to reduce costs while maintaining or improving quality, reliability, or maintainability
· Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, attention to detail, and maintain high quality standards
· Ability to simultaneously work and manage multiple projects, prioritize & consistently deliver results in ambiguous, complex, and fast-paced environment
· Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe features, technical designs, and strategy
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.