Safety is paramount for Amazon. In his 2020 Letter to Shareholders, Jeff Bezos has included a commitment on making Amazon Earth’s Safest Place to Work. Workplace Health and Safety (WHS) organization is helping Amazon fulfill this commitment.
And at WHS-Tech, we are exploring possibilities for technology to influence this course. From using devices to monitor and improve environment/health, to linking together data from our buildings and devices to plan safety-related events—the opportunity set is huge for us to further enhance the safety and wellbeing of our associates. Our team seeks to reinvent the way Amazon anticipates, assesses, and manages workplace hazards and risks. So, if creating industry-first products and solutions interests you, then this is the team for you.
Our problem space is huge, diverse, and exciting, given the impact we can create on employee safety. As our programs have evolved, so has the need for advanced methods to measure the impact and uncover trends/insights that can help boost program (and Safety) performance. On the same lines—harnessing the huge volume of data to understand what drives safety is another priority. Safety Science team also partners closely with the Software Development team to develop AI components for technology products being developed for field safety.
· MS or Ph.D. in Machine Learning, Operational Research, AI or related field
· 5+ years of experience with programming languages R, Python, MATLAB
· Experience with Machine Learning technologies, Deep Learning, Natural Language Processing, Computer Vision
· Ability to distill informal customer requirements into problem definitions, dealing with ambiguity and competing objectives
· Peer reviewed scientific contributions in Natural Language Processing, Computer Vision or relevant field
· Strong interest in learning, researching, and experimenting new technologies
· Familiarity with Operations and/or Industrial Safety
· Ability to communicate complex technical concepts and solutions to all levels of the organization