We are a team of doers working passionately to apply cutting-edge advances in technology to solve real-world problems. As a Research Scientist at the intersection of optimization and the life sciences, you will participate in developing exciting services for customers. Our team rewards curiosity while maintaining a laser-focus in bringing products to market. Competitive candidates are responsive, flexible, and able to succeed within an open, collaborative, entrepreneurial, startup-like environment. At the cutting edge of both academic and applied research in this product area, you have the opportunity to work together with a diverse and talented team of scientists, engineers, and product managers and collaborate with others teams.
We are looking for an outstanding economist that is able to apply optimization theory into practice through experimentation and invention, develop new algorithms usingmathematical programming techniques (such as column generation and Benders decompsition) for complex problems, implement prototypes and work with massive datasets. Amazon has a culture of data-driven decision-making, and the expectation is that analytics are timely, accurate, innovative and actionable.
· Use optimization techniques to support the business.
· Apply decomposition methods as needed to solve large scale models.
· Establish processes for large-scale data analyses, model development, model validation and model implementation.
· Act as a point of contact and operations research leader for the business.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
· PhD. in Economics, Industrial Engineering, Operations Research, Operations Management or in a highly quantitative field.
· 5+ years of post PhD experience
· Experience with large scale database and data warehousing systems (e.g. Redshift, Oracle)
· Strong problem solving ability.
· Excellent communication and presentation skills
· Comfortable with ambiguity
· Hands-on experience in development of optimization models
· Strong programming skills with at least one object oriented language (e.g. Java) and one scripting language (e.g. Python).
· Experience in using statistical analysis software packages (e.g. R)
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us