Alexa Answers is a public facing website with an active community of users. Our team culture encourages innovation and we expect engineers and management alike to take a high level of ownership for the product vision, technical architecture and product delivery. We need a leader who can cut through the noise, simplify, deliver results, and manage a diverse team. As a Senior Scientist, you will work in an agile team of scientists and engineers and be involved in every aspect of the development lifecycle, from idea generation and scientific research to development and deployment of advanced models. Product experience with consumer engagement, content moderation, or social media platforms is a strong plus.
Our ideal candidate is an experienced ML technology scientist who has a track-record of taking invention to production. You should have a commitment to working with a diverse team as well as great leadership and communication skills. You are passionate about using scientific research to deliver value to customers and are motivated to deliver results in a fast-paced environment. This position offers an exceptional opportunity to grow your technical and non-technical skills and make a real difference to Alexa customers. If you have an entrepreneurial spirit, know how to deliver, are technical and innovative, and relish the opportunity to delight customers with pioneering solutions, we want to talk to you.
Key job responsibilities
Participate in the design, development, evaluation, and deployment of data-driven models and analytical solutions for machine learning (ML) and natural language (NL) applications
Implement and improve modeling tools, training recipes, and prototypes utilizing programming skills in Python, Java or C++.
Collaborate with software engineering teams to integrate successful experimental results into complex Amazon production systems
Work backwards from customer needs and use that information to make trade-offs between different modeling approaches
Report results to technical and business audiences in a manner that is statistically rigorous and compellingly relevant, exemplifying good scientific practice in a business environment
Research the latest modeling techniques and stay current with advancements in the field
Drive best practices, helping to set high scientific and engineering standards on the team
Promote the culture of experimentation and applied science at Amazon
Mentor junior software engineers, interns, and scientists
· PhD degree with 4 years of applied research experience or a Masters degree and 6+ years of experience of applied research experience
· 3+ years of experience in building machine learning models for business application
· Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
· PhD with specialization in machine learning, natural language processing or speech recognition.
· Strong ML background and familiar with standard NLP/NLU techniques and/or recommender systems
· A track record of thought leadership and contributions that have advanced the field
· Strong publication record
· Strong software development skills
· Expertise in at least one more major programming language (C++, Java, or similar) and at least one scripting language (Python, or similar), and one Deep Learning Framework (MXNet, Tensor Flow, etc.)
· Experience working effectively with science, data processing, and software engineering teams
· Excellent written and spoken communication skills
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.