Are you excited about building Robotics AI technology that works seamlessly with and around people? The Robotics AI team at Amazon is building high-performance, real-time robotic systems that can perceive, learn and act intelligently alongside humans, at Amazon scale.
To this end, we are seeking an experienced Applied Science Manager who is interested in leading a team of Applied Scientist to bring Computer Vision innovations to Fulfillment Centers. We work on machine learning, planning, control, simulation and computer vision applied to robotics, particularly to manipulation and item understanding. We are expanding our Berlin team to meet the huge application demand in Amazon.
· Lead a team of Computer Vision experts and oversee research and development projects at various stages ranging from initial exploration to deployment into production systems.
· Rapidly design, prototype and test many possible hypotheses in a high-ambiguity environment, making use of both quantitative and business judgment.
· Collaborate with software engineering teams to integrate successful experiments into large scale, highly complex production services.
· Report results in a scientifically rigorous way.
· Collaborate closely with stakeholders on developing systems from prototyping to production level.
· PhD in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Operational Research, Statistics or a related quantitative field
· Broad knowledge of fundamentals and state of the art in computer vision and machine learning
· Knowledge of fundamentals in optimization, supervised and reinforcement learning
· 3+ years of experience in science team leadership and/or project leadership
· 3+ years experience in an industrial environment
· Experience delivering machine learning solution to a production level system
· Strong verbal and written communication skills
· Excellent problem solving ability
· Experience in publishing at major Computer Vision, ML or Robotics conferences or Journals (CVPR, ICCV, ECCV, NeurIPS, ICML, IJCV, ICRA, IROS, RSS,...)
· 5+ years experience in an industrial environment
· 5+ years of experience in engineering/science team leadership and/or project leadership
· Track record of successfully shipping products into production
· Demonstrated ability to work on cross-functional teams
· Experience in writing production or library code
· Experience with AWS or other cloud compute platforms