The Amazon Devices Digital Privacy group is looking for data scientists to join us. As a data scientist in Devices you will apply state of the art data science to develop privacy-related insights into data, and raise the bar for respectful design. You will build prototypes and explore new solutions. You will lead high-impact privacy work that centers respect for customers and their data. You will be at the heart of a passionate community of privacy experts, and work with acclaimed engineers, passionate privacy advocates, and renowned scientists.
You are someone who cares deeply about privacy and customer trust, with solid expertise in statistics and/or machine learning. You can work in a space where both problems and solutions are sometimes not well defined. You constantly push the boundaries of your own knowledge, and enjoy teaching others. You are pragmatic and focus your work based on the needs of the customer and the business.
A day in the life
You work daily with product and tool teams to help them understand their privacy stance through principled measurement and data exploration. You're always on the look out for repeatable patterns where ML can be applied to scale privacy processes. You work with other data scientists to craft and document tools and best practices.
About the hiring group
The Amazon Devices team designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics, including the best-selling Kindle family of products. We have also produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Dash, and Amazon Echo. We integrate privacy enhancing technologies, like end-to-end encryption. What will you help us create?
· Apply state of the art data science to develop privacy-related insights into data, such as re-identifiability, linkability, and more
· Build data science prototypes to solve privacy-related problems
· Collaborate with engineering teams to bring solutions to production
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
· Bachelor's Degree
· 3+ years of experience with data scripting languages (e.g SQL, Python, R etc.) or statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R, SAS, or Matlab)
· 2 years working as a Data Scientist
· Experience with fast prototyping
· Experience with machine learning applications
· Experience working effectively with software engineering teams
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· A track record of production code, prototypes, and/or research in the field of statistical and data privacy
· Background working with logs, metrics, or natural language
· The ability to design metrics and algorithms that are well aligned with business needs and at the appropriate level of complexity
· A current understanding of industry and technology trends in data privacy
· A track record of improving and accelerating technology with science, statistical modeling, algorithm design, and/or prototyping
· Ability to understand business context of decisions made within and across groups and using context to drive technological choices
· Strong track record of communicating with senior management, colleagues, the open source community and/or academia