Amazon.com strives to be Earth's most customer-centric company where people can find and discover anything they want to buy online. We hire the world's brightest minds, offering them a fast paced, technologically sophisticated and friendly work environment.
Economists at Amazon will be expected to work directly with our Chief Economists and senior management on key business problems faced in retail, international retail, cloud computing, third party merchants, search, Kindle, streaming video, and operations. Amazon economists will apply the frontier of economic thinking to market design, pricing, forecasting, program evaluation, online advertising and other areas. You will build econometric models, using our world class data systems, and apply economic theory to solve business problems in a fast moving environment. Economists at Amazon will be expected to develop new techniques to process large data sets, address quantitative problems, and contribute to design of automated systems around the company.
This role will work in Global Shipping, Our vision is to become the carrier of choice for all of our Selling Partners cross-border shipping needs, offering complete set of end to end cross border solutions from key manufacturing hubs to footprint countries supporting business who use Amazon to grow their business globally.
The Global Mile Business Development and strategy team are responsible for growing our global shipping product over the coming years. We have Sales and Marketing, analytical, strategy and forecasting functions and work with a large product and tech team, globally.
As we expand, the need for robust demand forecasting to aid decision making on asset utilization especially where we know demand will be variable becomes vital. We are investing in enhanced data and improved modelling techniques, and are now in need of an experienced economist to lead and manage our forecasting and scenario planning function.
· PhD in Economics, Quantitative Marketing, Finance, or closely related field.
· Experience in a postdoctoral position; or experience in consulting, government or academic research.
· Applicants with considerably more experience, including mid-career, are also strongly encouraged.
· Strong background in statistics methodology, applications to business problems, and/or big data.
· Ability to work in a fast-paced business environment.
· Strong research track record.
· Effective verbal and written communications skills.