Alexa is the Amazon cloud service that powers Echo, the groundbreaking Amazon device designed around your voice. Voice is the most natural user interface for interacting in the home and is quickly becoming the preferred way to seek information on any topic, at any time, from any place.
Our team, Alexa Information Analytics, builds data solutions for Amazon teams to make informed decisions on how to create delightful question-answer experience for Alexa customers. Located in beautiful Santa Barbara, CA, our team is looking for a Data Scientist who will design and implement data science projects including, but not limited to, natural language processing, classification, and experiments.
In this role, you will apply advanced analysis technique and statistical concepts to draw insights from massive datasets, create intuitive data visualizations, and build scalable machine learning models. You are a pragmatic generalist. You can contribute to each layers of a data solution – you work closely with business intelligence engineers and product managers to obtain relevant datasets and prototype predictive analytic models, you team up with data engineers to implement data pipeline to productionize your models, and review key results with business leaders and stakeholders. Your work exhibits a balance between scientific validity and business practicality.
To be successful in this role, you must be able to turn ambiguous business questions into clearly defined problems, develop quantifiable metrics and robust machine learning models from imperfect data sources, and deliver results that meet high standards of data quality, security, and privacy.
Key job responsibilities
· Interview stakeholders to gather business requirements and translate them into concrete requirement for data science projects
· Build models which predict the intents of Alexa customer’s utterances and measure the effectiveness of Alexa’s responses
· Define metrics and design algorithms to estimate customer satisfaction and engagement in real-time
· Define and conduct experiments to optimize question-answer experience of Alexa customers, and communicate insights and recommendations to product, engineering, and business teams
· Apply data mining techniques to automatically identify trends, patterns, and frictions of customer interaction with Alexa devices
· Work with data engineers and software development engineers to deploy models and experiments to production
· Identify and recommend opportunities to automate systems, tools, and processes
About the team
The Alexa Information Analytics team builds data infrastructures, ML models, reporting pipelines, and visualization tools to support product teams to understand Alexa customers better. We are a group of engineers and scientists passionate about building data products using state-of-the art technologies.
· Bachelor's Degree
· 3+ years of experience with data scripting languages (e.g SQL, Python, R etc.) or statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R, SAS, or Matlab)
· 2 years working as a Data Scientist
· Experience applying various machine learning techniques, and understanding the key parameters that affect their performance
· Experience using SQL queries, experience in writing and optimizing SQL queries in a business environment with large-scale, complex datasets
· Experience using notebook solution such Jupyter to conduct reproducible data analysis and modeling projects
· Graduate degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Finance, related technical field
· Strong communication and presentation skills necessary to build effective working relationships and positively influence decision making
· Strong business acumen
· Detailed knowledge of data warehouse technical architecture, infrastructure components, ETL and reporting/BI tools and environments
· Experience with large datasets (billions of rows)
· Experience with AWS technologies (SageMaker, Redshift, RDS, S3, EMR, etc.) and Hadoop ecosystems (Spark, MapReduce, YARN, Hive, etc.)
· Coding proficiency Java or Scala
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.