The Sustainability Science & Innovation (SSI) team is both the scientific authority for sustainability at Amazon and its sustainability research and development (R&D) team. SSI provides the direction to lead our company to sustainable practices. Our models and metrics inform Amazon’s most senior leaders on Think Big opportunities and critical sustainability issues facing Amazon so that they may place big bets in a variety of sustainability topics (energy, materials, water, waste, products, social responsibility, etc.) to take care of the planet, benefit customers, and enable continued business growth. Our primary customer is senior leadership setting the vision for the company, but we also work closely with decision-makers in the sustainability team and business teams around the company to understand and implement that vision.
We are looking for an experienced hands-on technical leader to join our organization and grow a team of Economists. This team will build and maintain data infrastructure, simplify data access and unlock self-service insights. Through data analysis and statistical modeling, this team will create feedback loops to continuously improve the sustainability decisions Amazon makes on behalf of its customers. The ideal candidate will have strong data engineering fundamentals and able to hire and grow individuals focused on building datasets and surfacing metrics to help SSI advance its mandate of automated modeling. They will partner with key stakeholders, including Software Development Managers, Product Managers, and Scientists within SSI and its parent World Wide Sustainability (WWS) organization, to define analytics strategy and ensure it’s aligned with the data architecture and business strategy. The ideal candidate will challenge assumptions and turn conjectures and anecdotes into data-supported facts to inform SSI’s product vision and establish data-first culture.
Key Responsibilities include:
· Manage sustainability-related data projects through all stages: ideation, modeling, data collection, data analysis, data visualization, and reporting.
· Develop tools and methods to harvest and continuously update data to provide sustainability insights at scale.
· Respond to time-critical questions from multiple business teams.
· Professionally communicate to senior business leaders.
· Lead the early investigative / inception phase of strategic sustainability initiatives and effectively influence, negotiate, and communicate with stakeholders to enable hand off of those projects for implementation.
· PhD degree in Economics, or a related field or equivalent experience
· Post PhD experience working in data analytics, data science, or related field
· Experience in building, managing, and growing teams of Economists and/or scientists
· Proficiency in scripting language (R or Python)
· Passion for data-driven research and inquiry
· Clear, concise, accurate communication (both verbal and written) with audiences of varying technical abilities and business context
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success and we make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.