Are you interested in leading cross-functional team that impacts all Amazon’s customers messaging and communications over Email, SMS, Push and a growing list of applications?
The Outbound Communication Services (OCS) team owns foundational systems that power all of Amazon's customer-facing communication on Email, SMS, Push channels, and other emerging messaging applications. In 2020, we sent over 200 billion messages to our global customers on these channels!
Being an essential part of the customer’s shopping experience with Amazon, our team’s mission is to deliver best-in-class customers’ communication experience over all possible channels. We build self-governing and message-optimization engines that leverage integrated Machine Learning, massive data processing and adaptive algorithms to select the best messages to send customers, over the best channel, and at the right time. Our systems ensure top-notch engagement experience, which spans transactional and marketing communications. The problems we face are complex and interesting including information engineering, data mining of Big Data sets, and governing real-time messages at scale. We build large scale, distributed systems using multiple AWS services that we designed from the ground up.
We're seeking a seasoned Software Development Manager to lead in a fast-paced environment, guiding a team of smart software engineers to architect and develop the right technical solutions to meet the needs of the business. You will be in charge of the complete software development lifecycle: defining, prioritizing, designing, building, and testing new features. We care about both delighting customers and high-quality software; we don’t sacrifice one for the other. We’re looking for someone with a demonstrated track record of hiring and leading teams of software development engineers to build and run highly-scalable, global software solutions.
Key job responsibilities
· Define the technical strategy, vision and roadmap for your team
· Provide technical expertise and leadership throughout the product life cycles, influence software engineering best practices for your team and own operational metrics
· Work with engineers to define technical requirements and architect and execute the 'best-in-class' implementations in agile manner
· Work across organizational boundaries, including AWS and external partners (e.g., Apple, Google) to deliver the best in-class experiences to our customers while balancing critical business objectives
· Build software that easily extends to meet the need for sending messages on a growing and diverse portfolio of end points such as WhatsApp, Web Push, etc.
A day in the life
You are a coach of a highly performing team. You grow, inspire, protect, and build long lasting relationships with your team. You set ambitious goals, deliver timely with high quality, and lead by example. You hire and develop the best, and align your team with the organization priorities.
· 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
· Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
· 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
· 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
· 7+ years of Software development background in object-oriented programming and distributed systems, Java, C++, Linux/UNIX
· 5+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
· Experience delivering machine learning or deep learning concepts
· Experience writing and reviewing detailed architecture specifications
· Experience in software development methodologies, tools and able to deploy best practices
· Experience in software release and deployment process and tools
· Masters in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related technical fields
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical individuals.
· Track record for being detail-oriented with a demonstrated ability to self-motivate and follow-through on projects
· Demonstrated entrepreneurship and innovation.
· Thrive on solving tough problems.
· High judgment and negotiation skills with demonstrated ability to influence
· Analytical talents
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.