The Research and Advanced Development team at Amazon Robotics is seeking innovative, hands-on, senior and experienced scientists to work on cutting edge algorithms to power automation in Amazon’s order fulfillment and transportation network. Our multi-disciplinary team includes scientists with backgrounds in AI planning and scheduling, robotic grasping and manipulation, machine learning, and operations research. We work on problems such as:
· Dynamic allocation and scheduling of tasks to thousands of robots
· Learning how to manipulate all the products that Amazon sells
· Planning and coordinating the paths of thousands of robots
· Co-design of robotic logistics processes and the algorithms to optimize them
The ideal candidate for this position will be an experienced scientist familiar with planning or learning algorithms at both the theoretical and implementation levels. You will have the chance to solve complex scientific problems and see your solutions come to life in Amazon’s warehouses!
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at Amazon, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have 12 affinity groups (employee resource groups) with more than 87,000 employees across hundreds of chapters around the world. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which reminds team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
It isn’t about which hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We offer flexibility and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
We care about your career growth too. Whether your goals are to explore new technologies, take on bigger opportunities, or get to the next level, we'll help you get there. Our business is growing fast and our people will grow with it.
· PhD in Engineering, Technology, Science, Operations Research, Robotics, Mathematics or a related quantitative field.
· 2+ years of relevant post-PhD Industry or Academic research experience in developing algorithms for robotic manipulation, motion planning, AI planning, scheduling, multi-robot systems, operations research, multi-agent planning, or multi-agent machine learning.
· 1+ year experience with any object-oriented programming languages such as Java, C++ or Python.
· 2+ years experience with building models and implementing algorithms on real robots or realistic simulations.
· Ability to work on a diverse team or with a diverse range of coworkers.
· PhD and 4+ years of relevant industry or academic research experience.
· Depth and breadth in state-of-the-art approaches for at least one of AI planning, grasp planning, motion planning, manipulation task planning, scheduling, multi-robot systems, operations research, multi-agent planning, or multi-agent machine learning.
· Scientific mindset and the ability to invent and problem-solve.
· Experience coding algorithm prototypes and refining through simulation.
· Fluency in data analysis and a statistical software package such as R, Stata, or Matlab.
· Drive and experience to apply algorithm research to real systems.
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively in cross-functional or multi-disciplinary teams.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.