About the role
We are looking for a Business Intelligence Engineer with excellent analytical abilities, business acumen and technical skills, to help us find answers to the most complex problems in our business. The BIE will use analytical solutions to deepen our understanding of customers and their experience on AbeBooks with a goal to deliver actionable insights and influence the innovation of our business, tech and operations teams.
The person in this role will:
- Identify, develop, and execute analyses to uncover areas of opportunity and present written business recommendations that will help shape the business and tech roadmaps. Collect, analyze and share data to help business teams drive improvement in key business metrics and customer experience.
- Use analytics tools and present results and insights using multiple methods, including written summaries and visualization/reporting tools.
- Build scalable solutions/self-serve platforms that provide data/KPIs to inform business decision-making. Design automated BI solutions for recurrent reporting (daily/weekly/monthly). Propose and prioritize changes to reporting and create additional metrics and processes based on program changes and customer requirements.
- Develop a thorough understanding of customer behavior, competitive product trends, and business drivers to inform decision making. Analyze key trends and build models that predict customer behavior, using statistical rigor to simplify and provide thought leadership to tech and product groups.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams including Product, Account Management, Marketing, Finance and Tech. Collaborate with Finance, Product, and Tech management as a leader of ongoing analytical support.
AbeBooks, an Amazon company, connects millions of buyers with booksellers from around the world. We provide a marketplace for hundreds of millions of items including everything from exquisite manuscripts and long-lost books from your childhood, to postcards from Mohandas Gandhi and signed first editions of “A Farewell to Arms”. AbeBooks’ mission is to enable people to discover and own the books they love by bringing together the broadest selection of physical books anywhere with a vision to be the world’s preferred site for buying and selling used and collectible books.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Statistics, Computer Science, Operations Research, Business Analytics, Information Systems or related field
- 4+ years of professional experience in data modeling / advanced business analytics.
- Proficiency with data querying or modeling technique with SQL
- Experience in designing and building automated reports and analytical dashboards using Tableau or similar tools.
- Experience in databases and ETL in a business environment with large-scale, complex datasets.
- Experience conveying key insights from complex analysis for a consumer business.
- Proficiency with scripting language (Python, R, etc.) is a plus.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy.
- Ability to create extensible and scalable data schema that lay the foundation for downstream analysis.
- Experience working with AWS analytics products such as Redshift, Athena, S3, Kinesis, QuickSight..