The Database Services group provides rapidly growing, industry acclaimed cloud services in areas of big data platforms, data warehouses, analytics, and operational databases. The group is at the forefront of innovation in these areas producing world-class cloud services, which while large profitable businesses, are also in their infancy. They represent a large fraction of the AWS business, and continue to accelerate.
Lake Formation is our fully managed service to simplify building and securing data lakes. It features Blueprints to ingest data from commons sources, ML transforms to clean and de-duplicate data and a unified security model with fine-grained permissions (at the database, table, and column level) that are applicable across a wide range of AWS analytic and ML services (Redshift Spectrum, Glue, EMR Spark, QuickSight).
The Lake Formation team is looking for an Applied Scientist with experience in building secure, scalable solutions that delight customers. You will apply your knowledge to propose solutions, create software prototypes, and productize prototypes into production systems using software development tools and methodologies. In addition, you will support and scale your solutions to meet the ever-growing demand of customer use. You have strong verbal and written communication skills, are self-driven and deliver high quality results in a fast-paced environment.
· Interact with various teams to develop an understanding of their security and safety requirements.
· Apply the acquired knowledge to build tools find problems, or show the absence of security/safety problems.
· Implement these tools through the use of SAT, SMT, BDDs, and various concepts from programming languages, theorem proving, formal verification and constraint solving.
· Perform analysis of the customer systems using tools developed in-house or externally provided
· Create software prototypes to verify and validate the devised solutions methodologies; integrate the prototypes into production systems using standard software development tools and methodologies.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
· M.S. or Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, or related technical field
· At least 3 years of industrial/academic experience in formal verification, program analysis, constraint-solving, and/or theorem proving
· At least 3 years of experience with programming languages such as Java, Scala, C/C++, Ruby, or Python and open-source technologies
· At least 3 years of experience with SMT/SAT solvers
· Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, or related technical field
· At least 5 years of experience in design and analysis of algorithms and data structures
· Experience with Spark, Hadoop, Prestodb or other horizontally scaled data engine
· At least 5 years of professional software engineering practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
· Demonstrated track record of project delivery for large, cross-functional projects with evolving requirements
· Excellent written and verbal technical communication with an ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
· Exceptional customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.