Amazon Alexa is seeking an Applied Science Manager to drive initiatives on the leading edge of Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Information Retrieval (IR), and Speech.
Working collaboratively with scientists and engineers, you will design and implement automated, scalable NLP/ML/IR models for accessing and presenting information as well as improve products and features within Alexa. This exciting opportunity will impact the customer experience, design, architecture, and implementation of a cutting-edge product that will be used every day by people you know.
If you are an entrepreneurial, data-driven, innovative, and influential individual who thrives on solving complex ambiguous problems and building innovative solutions in a fast-paced environment working within a smart and passionate team, this might be the role for you.
Key job responsibilities
In this role you will,
· Manage a team of high caliber Applied Scientists and Software Engineers working on building world class, scalable systems
· Recruit, hire, mentor, and coach scientists and engineers at different levels of experience
· Manage and execute against project plans and delivery commitments within an Agile/Scrum environment
· Contribute to and lead design, architecture, process and development discussions
· Own all operational metrics and support for your team’s software
· Drive improvements in software engineering practices across engineering teams
· 7+ years of experience working directly with science or engineering teams
· Experience in partnering with product and program management teams
· 3+ years of people management experience, managing scientists and engineers
· Proven ability to manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment where continuous innovation is desired.
· Experience hiring scientists
· Analytical acumen. Comfortable generating and evaluating data to guide decisions. Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
· Ability to code in at least one programming language
· Excellent verbal/written communication skills, including an ability to effectively collaborate with research and technical teams, earn the trust of your colleagues, and influence senior stakeholders
· Ability to engage multiple technical teams to drive consistent expectations towards a shared goal
· Fluency in engineering best practices
· Proven problem solving skills
· Previous work experience as an applied scientist or software developer
· Familiarity with the publication process and academic review
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.