Amazon Web Services are looking for a passionate and talented Data Scientist who will collaborate with other scientists and engineers to develop computer vision and machine learning methods and algorithms to address real-world customer use-cases. You'll design and run experiments, research new algorithms, and work closely with talented engineers to put your algorithms and models into practice to help solve our customers' most challenging problems. This role resides in AWS Professional Services, a unique consulting team where we pride ourselves on being customer obsessed and highly focused on the AI enablement of our customers.
If you do not live in a market where we have an open Data Scientist position, please feel free to apply. Our Data Scientists can live in any location (D.C, Maryland, Virginia, Illinois, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Denver) where we have a WWPS Professional Service office.
The primary responsibilities of this role are to:
* Research, design, implement and evaluate novel computer vision algorithms.
* Work on large-scale datasets, creating scalable, robust and accurate computer vision systems in versatile application fields.
* Work closely with account team, research scientist teams and product engineering teams to drive model implementations and new algorithms.
* Interact with customer directly to understand the business problems and aid them in implementation of their ML solutions.
This position can have periods of up to 10% travel.
*Inclusive Team Culture*
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life—both in and outside of work.
*Mentorship & Career Growth*
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
A day in the life
About the hiring group
• Masters Degree in Engineering, Technology, Computer Science, Mathematics or a related quantitative field
• 4+ years years of industry or post-doctorate or academic applied research experience in one or more areas in, Computer Vision, Deep Learning, Sensing systems or related fields
• Coding skills in one or more programming languages such as Python, Scala, Java, C, C++
• 2+ years of experience developing computer vision algorithms for business application and Deep Learning models
• Hands-on experience with state-of-the-art object detection approaches (e.g., Faster RCNN, YOLO, CenterNet etc.)
* PhD in Engineering, Technology, Computer Science, Mathematics or a related quantitative field
* Experience leveraging and augmenting large code base and computer vision/machine libraries/toolkits to deliver new solutions
* Experience extending object detection models to multi-object, multi-label tracking
* Experience working with geospatial datasets (e.g., satellite imagery)
* Experience working with motion imagery datasets (e.g., Full Motion Video/FMV, Wide Area Motion Imagery/WAMI)
* Distributed training (e.g., DDP, Horovod) and model compilation (e.g., TensorRT, TVM) experience
* Familiarity deploying solutions to IoT/edge platforms (e.g., NVIDIA Jetson Xavier)
* Familiarity deploying solutions to AWS or cloud services and experience with AWS services such as SageMaker is considered a plus
* Record of publishing at major computer science peer-reviewed conferences or journals
* Ability to lead and mentor scientists
* Strong written and verbal communication skills
* Ability to work effectively with a large, distributed team