Amazon Web Services are looking for a passionate and talented Applied Scientist who will collaborate with other scientists and engineers to develop computer vision and machine learning methods and algorithms to address real-world customer use-cases. You'll design and run experiments, research and develop new algorithms, and put your algorithms and models into practice to help solve our customers' most challenging problems. This role resides in AWS Professional Services, a unique consulting team where we pride ourselves on being customer obsessed and highly focused on the AI enablement of our customers.
If you do not live in a market where we have an open Applied Scientist position, please feel free to apply. Our Applied Scientists can live in any location (D.C, Maryland, Virginia, Illinois, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Denver) where we have a WWPS Professional Service office.
The primary responsibilities of this role are to:
· Research, design, implement and evaluate new machine learning models, including the application of state-of-art computer vision algorithms to solve object detection and tracking problems.
· Work on large-scale datasets, creating scalable, robust and accurate computer vision systems in various application fields.
· Communicate with senior management, research scientist teams, and product engineering teams to drive model implementations and new algorithms.
· Interact with customers directly to understand their business problems and aid them in implementation of their ML solutions.
· Provide technical and scientific guidance to your team members.
This position requires that the candidate selected be a US Citizen and obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance.
This position can have periods of up to 10% travel.
accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
· PhD in Computer Science, Machine Learning, or a highly quantitative field
· 4+ years of industry or post-doctorate or academic applied research experience in one or more areas in, Computer Vision, Deep Learning, Sensing systems or related fields
· Strong coding and problem solving skills in one or more programming languages such as Python, Java, C++, etc.
· Hands-on experience with state-of-the-art object detection approaches (e.g., Faster RCNN, YOLO, CenterNet etc.)
· At least one publication, as first author, in a leading conference or journal related to machine learning
· Sound theoretical understanding of broad machine learning concepts, with deep and demonstrable expertise in at least one topic or application of machine learning
· 6+ years hands-on experience applying theoretical models in an applied environment
· Experience developing and augmenting large codebases and computer vision/machine learning libraries and toolkits to deliver new solutions
· Experience extending object detection models to multi-object, multi-label tracking
· Experience working with geospatial datasets (e.g., satellite imagery)
· Experience working with motion imagery datasets (e.g., Full Motion Video/ FMV, Wide Area Motion Imagery/ WAMI)
· Distributed training (e.g., DDP, Horovod) and model compilation (e.g., TensorRT, TVM) experience
· Experience deploying solutions to IoT/edge platforms (e.g., NVIDIA Jetson Xavier)
· Experience deploying solutions to AWS or cloud services and experience with AWS services such as SageMaker
· Significant peer reviewed scientific contributions in premier journals and conferences
· Proven track in leading, mentoring, and growing teams of scientists
· Superior verbal and written communication and presentation skills, with an ability to convey rigorous mathematical concepts and considerations to non-experts
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life—both in and outside of work.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an